Boost/overdrive help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a solid state Marshall before getting my 5:50 and the built in distortions were AWEFUL!!! So a got a rizafratsis distortion pedal from Emma for my distortion needs but it is no good on the 5:50. So I guess what I need to fatten up my cleans and send my distortion throught the roof is a good boost and/or overdrive pedal. I've never used many pedals (only owning the rizafratsis until yesterday when I got a delay) so I don't really know the specific differences between the overdrive and boost are and I definently don't know which will work best with my express. I've looked into the BB Preamp and the EP Booster by Exotic, the Banana Boost by JHS, and just yesterday someone suggested the OCD and the VOX Ice 9 for a warmer overdrive. I play in an alternative Christian rock banad and can't go play with my settings between songs so I would love a pedal that I could play throught my preamp set clean to give me a nice warm crunch with flavor and also be able to add it to my distortion to make my solos sore above the mix. We're opening for Leeland in about a month and don't want anyone to think our sound is "pretty good" or "ameture" when we play and I think my choice of overdrive/boost might make the difference for me. Thanks again guys!

Again for reference I play a Suhr Pro S2 through an Express 5:50 1x12 (black shadow) and now I have a TC electronics flashback delay.

An OCD is going to sound harsh thru your Express. Its is NOT warm at all. The Xotic BB preamp is simply amazing and warm. However, beware of the mid hump! I do not think the EP Booster is what you are looking for. If you like Xotic try an RC boost, if you like Fulltone try a Plimsoul.

I would think long and hard before putting a drive pedal in front of your amp. The overdrive sounds on an express are pretty epic, I think I would keep experimenting with the amp's tones before doing anything else. Are you using the second channel ever?

Hey Mr Suhr
I got a great suggestion for you.
Why don't you go test out these pedals yourself :mrgreen:
That's what we all have to do discover what works best for you.
The BB stomp thing is not an OD or distortion - it's just an unusual EQ pedal.
The OCD is a good mid gain distortion pedal.
I own one and it's warm into the Express (not at all harsh) but no warmer than the burn channel.
It's just a different distortion flavour is all.
The main reason players with amps that have distortion often use pedals is to get different flavours of distortion that the amp can't do.
Test em out yourself and you'll understand :)

And I'll never understand why you'd wanna play in a band where you can't adjust anything between songs for 30 secs .
That kills your creativity and is anti musical imo :mrgreen:

@Newysurfer: I would LOVE to test them out myself! However, I can't conveniently. On top of everything with the band I am trying to finish up my research in physical chemistry and write a thesis on it so I can graduate this semester and this wouldn't even be a problem if the only place that sells all these things I'm looking at weren't a 90 minute drive from where I live. So I come to you guys to gain as much knowledge as possible so that on the occasion that I do get to test them, I will be informed enough to make the most of my visit. I'm simply applying the same analytical methodology that I use for everything I research: gather all information possible, sort/study it, get rid of the bad, make a plan from the good, and execute in the lab (or music store). So please don't hate on me or my band (you might not be but that's the vibe I'm getting); ever since switching to mesa I've experienced nothing but good and I don't really want that perspective to change. And with respect to the comment on going backstage to adjust between songs, our primary goal on stage is to worship Jesus Christ with our music and create an atmosphere that invites everyone else to do the same... tone and musicianship is secondary and at the point where they become a distraction (i.e. going backstage mid set) we simplify so that we don't take away from the main thing and I'm 100% ok with that, thats why I play in that band. However, the reason I come to you guys is because if I can get the different tonalities I want by simply pressing some buttons with my feet then I'm going to do what it takes to get that! So are we cool now bud? I'm sorry if all my questions rubbed you the wrong way but I'm just a naturally inquisitive guy. Plus, we surfers have to stick together!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah!
OK guys, this is where I'm at with my current pedals (that's a joke, I will have no pedals when my Emma is sold and my TC returned):
Amp is being played into a mic in a storage closet or something
Chanel 1: crunch setting w/ gain at 12 and master at 1:30
Chanel 2: burn with gain all the way up and master about 9:00-10:00

What I can do right now:
for cleans I turn down the volume pot on my guitar, play through channel 1, and increase volume for added crunchiness as needed. for dirty rhythm I play through channel 2 with the guitar's volume and tone at half mast and increase the two as needed for increased presence and fullness. and of corse I crank everything and hit up the bridge humbucker through channel 2 for solos; unless it's a smooth solo, then I'll split my singles through channel 1.

What I want to add:
I want to be able to play channel 1 in the clean mode so I can be extra tender when everyone drops out but me and the acoustic, but I have to be able to get a crunchy sound from channel 1 as well. That's why I need a clean boost or an overdrive. I already love the distortion channel two gives me, but since we're moving to a five piece set I need my leads to stick out that much more so that the sound the same as they did without a rhythm electric in the mix and I feel like a boost would do that for me as well.

Since I think I'm going to go with an Eventide delay, my budget now only allows for 1 until someone buys my old marshall or peavey. I have narrowed it down to the BB Preamp, EP booster, and Keeley Katana; and as much as I love the smooth drive of the BB, I think I'm leaning away from it since the logical first piece seems to be a boost. Does anyone know anything about how well these can bush the 5:50's clean into a naturally overdriven crunch?

dude, get a tubescreamer :lol: no, really, tried a great number of ODs on my express and nothing sounds as good as a tubescreamer...

suhr+mesa=greatness said:
For real? An ibanez ts?

why do you seem so surprised? :lol:
it's the most popular overdrive pedal ever and more than 50% of ODs that are produced today are based on the tubescreamer by modding it a bit :wink:

I would recommend ibanez ts808 or ts9, or visual sound route 808 or even better visual sound double trouble depending on your budget...visual sound is a bit more modern sounding...had a double trouble and I loved it...

@Newysurfer: I would LOVE to test them out myself! However, I can't conveniently. On top of everything with the band I am trying to finish up my research in physical chemistry and write a thesis on it so I can graduate this semester and this wouldn't even be a problem if the only place that sells all these things I'm looking at weren't a 90 minute drive from where I live. So I come to you guys to gain as much knowledge as possible so that on the occasion that I do get to test them, I will be informed enough to make the most of my visit. I'm simply applying the same analytical methodology that I use for everything I research: gather all information possible, sort/study it, get rid of the bad, make a plan from the good, and execute in the lab (or music store). So please don't hate on me or my band (you might not be but that's the vibe I'm getting); ever since switching to mesa I've experienced nothing but good and I don't really want that perspective to change. And with respect to the comment on going backstage to adjust between songs, our primary goal on stage is to worship Jesus Christ with our music and create an atmosphere that invites everyone else to do the same... tone and musicianship is secondary and at the point where they become a distraction (i.e. going backstage mid set) we simplify so that we don't take away from the main thing and I'm 100% ok with that, thats why I play in that band. However, the reason I come to you guys is because if I can get the different tonalities I want by simply pressing some buttons with my feet then I'm going to do what it takes to get that! So are we cool now bud? I'm sorry if all my questions rubbed you the wrong way but I'm just a naturally inquisitive guy. Plus, we surfers have to stick together!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah!
OK guys, this is where I'm at with my current pedals (that's a joke, I will have no pedals when my Emma is sold and my TC returned):
Amp is being played into a mic in a storage closet or something
Chanel 1: crunch setting w/ gain at 12 and master at 1:30
Chanel 2: burn with gain all the way up and master about 9:00-10:00

What I can do right now:
for cleans I turn down the volume pot on my guitar, play through channel 1, and increase volume for added crunchiness as needed. for dirty rhythm I play through channel 2 with the guitar's volume and tone at half mast and increase the two as needed for increased presence and fullness. and of corse I crank everything and hit up the bridge humbucker through channel 2 for solos; unless it's a smooth solo, then I'll split my singles through channel 1.

What I want to add:
I want to be able to play channel 1 in the clean mode so I can be extra tender when everyone drops out but me and the acoustic, but I have to be able to get a crunchy sound from channel 1 as well. That's why I need a clean boost or an overdrive. I already love the distortion channel two gives me, but since we're moving to a five piece set I need my leads to stick out that much more so that the sound the same as they did without a rhythm electric in the mix and I feel like a boost would do that for me as well.

Since I think I'm going to go with an Eventide delay, my budget now only allows for 1 until someone buys my old marshall or peavey. I have narrowed it down to the BB Preamp, EP booster, and Keeley Katana; and as much as I love the smooth drive of the BB, I think I'm leaning away from it since the logical first piece seems to be a boost. Does anyone know anything about how well these can bush the 5:50's clean into a naturally overdriven crunch?

hehehe calm down Mr Sensitive - I wasn't having a go at you - I was merely suggesting the obvious that you'll never really understand anyone's answers. or have any idea whether people are talking crap to you, unless you test these products yourself.

And from what you've said lots of people have already been talking crap to you - as I'd expect hehehe

Hey - I'm a musician & this is a musicians forum - I got zero interest in churches or playing in one.
From what you said your gear is not even on stage - I wouldn't know - I've never seen a band in a church.
All I did is state the obvious that if you can't adjust your tone between between songs then it's unmusical.
So you just gave me another reason why I'll never play in a church hehehe
Have fun :mrgreen:

For real? An ibanez ts?
i agree with krek..

For real. My un-modded TS9 in front of the amp rips the sonic reality a new one. At low gain, its a mid boost and at higher gains, it is a monster. I love it for different reasons in all modes. they are stack-able for gain staging and shades of awesomeness.

Krek man, you just enlightened me to something great! I had never heard of visual sound untill you mentioned them so I looked and found that they're headquarters is only like 2 hours away from me! I'll probably go check out they're demo room sometime soon. I love they're tone from what I've heard, plus the foot switches are rated for like 10,000,000 switches and you can run over them with a van and there not even be a scratch! Plus their new delay is sweet! It has a click track input and, two completely independent delays linked to a single tap tempo in one box, and mostly analog circuit so it doesn't suck/color your tone! You may have just solved all my pedal needs, thanks dude.

And surfer, sorry for getting defensive. I have the biggest test of my life tomorrow and was a little stressed when I wrote that. However, IMO I don't think musicality and creativity are directly related to having constant access to the eq. Does it help? Yes! But also, part of the fun is finding a solution that's appealing to everyone. Plus, how many big time artists do you know that stop a concert between every song? Because I honestly can't think of any. Another part of music as consistency and developing a unique sound (which is what one of my goals are) that is recognizable so that when hear us play a song they know exactly what it is and I don't know how attainable that is if I'm constantly changing my EQ. I guess I forgot to mention that I'm a huge not for having a nice consistent tone :D

Hey, no problem, I'm glad I could help :wink: I just love visual sound, they're pure quality and very original but at the same time their prices are great and reasonable, not like the other "botique" brands...

you're lucky they're so close to you, I live in east europe and over here vs pedals are hard to get :( you should try their route 808 or double trouble (2x route808 + noise gate), great ts-like overdrive, even better than the original if you ask me...didn't try the delay but I'm sure it's awesome like everything else from visual sound...

write a post after you check them out :)

And surfer, sorry for getting defensive. I have the biggest test of my life tomorrow and was a little stressed when I wrote that. However, IMO I don't think musicality and creativity are directly related to having constant access to the eq. Does it help? Yes! But also, part of the fun is finding a solution that's appealing to everyone. Plus, how many big time artists do you know that stop a concert between every song? Because I honestly can't think of any. Another part of music as consistency and developing a unique sound (which is what one of my goals are) that is recognizable so that when hear us play a song they know exactly what it is and I don't know how attainable that is if I'm constantly changing my EQ. I guess I forgot to mention that I'm a huge not for having a nice consistent tone :D

ahh you missed my point :mrgreen:
I never said anything about changing your EQ every song.
But it's very reasonable & expected for guitarists that use pedals to do a little tweaking of selected pedals occasionally between songs.
Players do a little EQ adjustment sometimes too, tweak reverb as the place fills up etc.
Might take 10-20 secs. Bass & keyboards players do the same.
Gives the audience a little break between songs instead of charging at em non stop.

hehehehe but you can't change anything anytime - your gear isn't even on stage hehe

The Tube screamer or a version of it is really a great choice.

I use the Digitech Hardwire CM-2. Tube Screamer with a few more options, fantastic pedal.

Others I have owned and used with my Express are a Paul Cochrane Tim, VooDoo Labs Sparkle Drive, MXR DIII, Hardwire SC-2, Bad Monkey, and Wampler Pinnacle. (That's all with this amp I believe)

Fav is the CM-2 for what you want but my second choice.
Fav over all is the Wampler Pinnacle.

My boss SD-1 really sounds nice in front of all modes too. Both the TS9 and the SD1 can be staged and set for boosts, adding very little dirt but kicking the gain up a bit.

+1 on the t.s... I own an original tubescreamer from 83 and it sound's amazing through the express. Harmonic bliss, I also use the ocd and like that too, not harsh on the clean channel on my amp. I have been a fan of visual sound and have owned a couple of there pedals in the past, can't go wrong.

NomadExpress said:
My boss SD-1 really sounds nice in front of all modes too. Both the TS9 and the SD1 can be staged and set for boosts, adding very little dirt but kicking the gain up a bit.

SD-1 is a tubescreamer based pedal so yeah it's nice for the buck...digitech bad monkey is also a nice and cheap alternative...

I'm constantly impressed with my BB Preamp. Sounds amazing set low or high and works very well to push the burn channel on leads.

Back