NAD: Mesa 5:50 2nd Channel Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enigma

Reaction score
I just got a Mesa 5:50 1x12 combo. I love the 1st channel and it takes my pedals very well. But, the 2nd channel is practically useless to me. I can't seem to dial in the tone in either Blues or Burn setting. The only guitar that sounded great was with my 80's 48th St. Custom Tele loaded with PRS Dragon II pickups - I was hearing some Boston tone. Other than that, it sounds brash and harsh. Too bad it doesn't have the Maverick circuit!!!!

Any good suggestions are welcome!

Mine isn't harsh in my opinion, but that could be my amp, my settings or just my taste! I use Blues mode with the mids turned a little higher and a little bit of contour- in that case I'm usually going for a mid '60s British blues sound- like a Les Paul into cranked Marshall. When I use the Burn mode I usually turn down my guitar's volume and tone for a fatter Mesa/Boogie type of sound.

There could be a tube issue as well. Try swapping V1 and V2.

For the 2nd channel... I think it sounds best in blues mode with the gain set at about 50 - 60 percent. Ive got the treble pretty low with Contour ON about 1/4 - 1/3.
On a side note, I couldnt really find a usable overdrive / distortion tone I liked at low volume. Once you start cranking the master, you'll get some really nice tones.

Don said:
Mine isn't harsh in my opinion, but that could be my amp, my settings or just my taste! I use Blues mode with the mids turned a little higher and a little bit of contour- in that case I'm usually going for a mid '60s British blues sound- like a Les Paul into cranked Marshall. When I use the Burn mode I usually turn down my guitar's volume and tone for a fatter Mesa/Boogie type of sound.

There could be a tube issue as well. Try swapping V1 and V2.

What are some tried and true tube swaps for V1 and V2?

enigma said:
I just got a Mesa 5:50 1x12 combo. I love the 1st channel and it takes my pedals very well. But, the 2nd channel is practically useless to me. I can't seem to dial in the tone in either Blues or Burn setting. The only guitar that sounded great was with my 80's 48th St. Custom Tele loaded with PRS Dragon II pickups - I was hearing some Boston tone. Other than that, it sounds brash and harsh. Too bad it doesn't have the Maverick circuit!!!!

Any good suggestions are welcome!

Nothing harsh & brash on my 5:50 on channel 2.
The blues voice in particular is super smooth & burn has a great growl
What EQ's have you dialed in.
Remember to always keep the bass dial under 11 oclock on the 5:50 :mrgreen:

I put mine up for sale.

Edit: Clean/Crunch channel saves the day!

Latest posts

Back