after 5:50, what is the 'best' 2nd Mesa amp 25-50W?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtodd6

Reaction score
I had a used TA-15 & took it back to GC -- I couldn't live without the reverb and effects loop. I would like something that I could get both a blackface DR & Marshall sound. I know the newer TA-30 has reverb/FX-loop & has a Tweed setting, but I have a Fender deluxe 22W boutique and I would really like a blackface sound. And the TA-40 is $$$$. I can build a deluxe reverb blackface AB763 hand-wired for about $450 in parts, sans cab + speaker, but the extra channel, reverb and tremelo circuits really complicates the build & you can probably pick up a re-issue for $600-700 if you're not sniffy about circuit boards and no effects loop in DR.

So, I'm leaning towards a Fender DR reissue, since I already own a hand-wired Plexi 50W & Bassman re-issue. I'm so happy with the 5:50, I don't want to overlook another good Mesa amp, especially something with EL34.

mtodd6 said:
I had a used TA-15 & took it back to GC -- I couldn't live without the reverb and effects loop. I would like something that I could get both a blackface DR & Marshall sound. I know the newer TA-30 has reverb/FX-loop & has a Tweed setting, but I have a Fender deluxe 22W boutique and I would really like a blackface sound. And the TA-40 is $$$$. I can build a deluxe reverb blackface AB763 hand-wired for about $450 in parts, sans cab + speaker, but the extra channel, reverb and tremelo circuits really complicates the build & you can probably pick up a re-issue for $600-700 if you're not sniffy about circuit boards and no effects loop in DR.

So, I'm leaning towards a Fender DR reissue, since I already own a hand-wired Plexi 50W & Bassman re-issue. I'm so happy with the 5:50, I don't want to overlook another good Mesa amp, especially something with EL34.

As much as I love the 5:50 the Mark V is THE best and most versatile amp made today imo.
Try the Electrodyne and TA-30 too
There's no amps made that I'm aware of that nail the Blackface cleans / Marshall distortion combination well.
A few have tried but Mesa don't make any.
A good thing too - Mesa have their own thing going and it's retrograde to copy someone else - Mesa don't need too.
I also think the cleans & reverb on the Lonestars, Mark V and 5:50 are better than most Fenders anyways :mrgreen:

There's no amps made that I'm aware of that nail the Blackface cleans / Marshall distortion combination well.

Yeah, I got a pedal which gets a good brown marshall sound & was more interested in a blackface crunch when it is cranked, but I agree nothing nails that sound.

I'm not schooled on the Mark V except the video reviews -- I heard some good BF sounds out of the middle channel. A lot of moving parts on that puppy.

I have a 5:50 and Royal Atlantic the RA has great cleans and does the Marshall sound your looking for , if it's in your budget check it out i'm very happy with it.

I have a 5:50 and Royal Atlantic the RA has great cleans and does the Marshall sound your looking for , if it's in your budget check it out i'm very happy with it.

I'm actually going to try out a used Rect-o-verb which has a switch bias for EL-34 tubes.

I think I may be moving towards a Mark V at some point, but then would I still use my 5:50.

An MKV would make the 5:50 mostly redundant.

The Deluxe reverb is a fantastic amp. I have the RI and I can play on it all day, but between the DRRI, the 5:25 and my Electra dyne, the ED is the one that gets played. I'd still like an MKV, but am so happy with what I have the urge is just not there.

Out of my 3 Mesas, the Royal Atlantic is probably my favorite. It's very easy to get the tone you want and the multi-soak is great for playing in confined spaces.

If ya don't "have" to stick with EL-34 amps and you like the 5:50, I would go with a 5:25. They are great amps and have the same pre-amp as the 5:50. Just mic' it for larger venues. Who knows, it may become your 1st amp, with your 5:50 as your back-up.

Just Sayin'

TW

I just picked up a Nomad 45 2x12 and after a bit of experimentation with tubes, its really become my favorite amp (thought that's likely because I can't afford a Mark V presently).

Channel 1 can definitely give a bit of a Blackface Vibe while allowing the chime and fundamental harmonics of the EL84s to come through.

Channel 2 can nail some pretty convincing Brit crunch sounds, as well as some Mesa Mark series inspired smoothness

Channel 3, while obviously designed for heavier stuffs actually has a fantastic gritty blues lead tone when EQ'd properly.

While I've played a few Mesa's before (including a couple of Express models) this is the first time I've really got to sat down and spend a few hours dialing in a Mesa and I can really tell what people have always sad about having to take your time with the EQ. Moving the treble a mm can make a pretty massive tonal difference. When setup properly, with a nice selection of preamp tubes, this amp is a tone monster.

Back