Can you run 6v6's in an express 5:50...

5:25 and 5:50's

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Vogelsong
Mark III

Re: Can you run 6v6's in an express 5:50...

Post by Vogelsong » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:22 am

Well thanks all for the info. My end goal is good power section drive at a reasonable volume. So with all this in mind my quest will continue.
Vogelsong

G&L Comanche,
G&L Legacy,
RI 64 Vibroverb Custom
Original 66 Fender Reverb,
Original 59 Fender Bandmaster,
69 Fender Coronada II,
51 Gibson ES300,
Beater Strat,
Waldon Acoustic,

Newysurfer
Mark IV

Post by Newysurfer » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Vogelsong wrote:
Newysurfer wrote:
Vogelsong wrote:I'm trying to find a solution to my low volume woa's.

I need a low volume amp with good tone, it would be mic'd in this situation.

The problem I'm having is everything I have is just too loud for what I'm doing. It's beginning to look like my only solution is a low wattage 6v6 amp.

I don't like el84's, and class a/b seems to be what my ear likes. So if a 5:50 can be run in 50 watt mode with 6v6's that would be my ticket I think.

Can this be done?

Just wondering why you think 6V6 amps are lower volume than 6L6 one's - all other things being equal.
I've owned 2 6V6 amps - an Egnater Rebel 30 now and a Rebel 20 before that.
The power tube types made no difference to volume on those and I've not heard of it making any difference on any other 6V6 amp either :mrgreen:

Because all the amps I've looked at that can run both 6v6 or 6l6 are usually 1/2 the wattage when run in the 6v6 configuration (ie: a quieter amp).
Probably just a co-incidence - there's nothing in the tubes that makes 6V6's quieter.
My Egnater Rebel 30 has 2 6V6's and it's just as loud as a Mesa 5:25 with similar clean headroom too :mrgreen:

Forgetting about power tube types ...the best sounding low volume amp I've ever heard is the Mark V on 10 watts.
Followed by the 5:50, the Lonestars, and Egnater Rebel 30. Also check out the new TA-15 and Egnater Tweaker
Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

Vogelsong
Mark III

Post by Vogelsong » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Newysurfer wrote:My Egnater Rebel 30 has 2 6V6's and it's just as loud as a Mesa 5:25 with similar clean headroom too :mrgreen:
The 5:25 has EL84's, not 6L6's
Vogelsong

G&L Comanche,
G&L Legacy,
RI 64 Vibroverb Custom
69 Fender Coronada II,
51 Gibson ES300,
Beater Strat,
Waldon Acoustic,

ifailedshapes
Single Recto

Post by ifailedshapes » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Vogelsong wrote:
Newysurfer wrote:My Egnater Rebel 30 has 2 6V6's and it's just as loud as a Mesa 5:25 with similar clean headroom too :mrgreen:
He never said they did. :)
Vogelsong wrote:Well thanks all for the info. My end goal is good power section drive at a reasonable volume. So with all this in mind my quest will continue.
You need to check out the new Royal Atlantic then. If you want POWER tube distortion, this is your best bet. Or throw an attenuator into the mix with any other amp. Most Mesas, though, aren't designed for power tube crunch, and most other amps that are have to get pretty darn loud before you hear the effects of the power tubes.

What do you have against EL84 tubes?
Guitars --> Pedals --> Amps

Past/Present Boogies
Express 5:50+ 1x12"
Stiletto Ace 1x12"
Electra Dyne Head
Lone Star Special 1x12"
Stiletto Ace Head
Express 5:25 1x10"
Mark IVb Widebody 1x12"

Vogelsong
Mark III

Post by Vogelsong » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 pm

ifailedshapes wrote:
Vogelsong wrote:
He never said they did. :)
Vogelsong wrote:Well thanks all for the info. My end goal is good power section drive at a reasonable volume. So with all this in mind my quest will continue.
You need to check out the new Royal Atlantic then. If you want POWER tube distortion, this is your best bet. Or throw an attenuator into the mix with any other amp. Most Mesas, though, aren't designed for power tube crunch, and most other amps that are have to get pretty darn loud before you hear the effects of the power tubes.

What do you have against EL84 tubes?

They always sound thin and brittle to me. I couldn't bond with my LSS, as soon as I started playing through 6L6 powered amps I knew it had to go. Tried to bond with that thing for 3 years and it just never happened.

I was playing through a peavey the other day, After a bit of tinkering I just couldn't get a tone I liked. Turned out it was an EL84 amp. I unplugged and plugged into another peavey with 6v6's. Problem solved, it was just too loud for what I want.
Vogelsong

G&L Comanche,
G&L Legacy,
RI 64 Vibroverb Custom
69 Fender Coronada II,
51 Gibson ES300,
Beater Strat,
Waldon Acoustic,

mtodd6
Mark II

Post by mtodd6 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:25 pm

I was laughing reading this thread. I've had the same problem, but I can never get my head around people thinking the drums are actually quieter, *and* have less dynamics, than a 5W or even a 22 W amp on vol= 0.5 (22-25W is typical power for 6V6 amp, i.e. Blackface Deluxe Reverb or Deluxe Tweed.) I think it's a perception thing -- distorted guitars are typically played loud so if you have any edge people think it's loud and if they are there to hear New Age ambient noise, you ain't cutting it. Also, any compression makes it seem louder. The 5W to me sounds louder & tighter to me than the 50W mode at the same volume levels. Well, that's why I like it because it's edgier when you need it.

I play in 5W mode & cannot hear my amp above a DW kit even when a light touch is used. The drums are on a riser which I think amplifies the volume. I tilt my amp back on a rack, which disperses the sound upward away from the front row & have a piece of carpet under the rack to isolate any resonance by the riser. I also angle the amp towards the most open part of the room, in addition to tilting, so the sound has more time to disperse before reaching the first listener.

And the sound guys are usually part of the problem. They never ask the drummer to play with some dynamics even for the most heavy handed ones. Amateur sound guys love DI, but it puts you at their mercy & I've heard the sound guy botch it too many times sitting on the other side, especially when EQ'ing & mixing in the keyboards. Cannot tell you how many times I heard a DI guitar or keyboard sound like music on hold via a cell phone.

Isolation & mic'ing works, but it's really a better form of DI for me, and without isolating in-ear monitors, the drums make it hard to hear the mix.

You can also try putting a little disc of duct tape over your speaker cone, on the speaker cloth. This will disperser your sound & lessen "beaming".

brucesinger
Mark II

Post by brucesinger » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:06 pm

What speaker are you using? There are "louder" speakers like the Eminence Swamp Thang, maybe there are ones that would be "quieter".

Rockerduck
Mark I

Post by Rockerduck » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:56 pm

A more inefficient speaker will bring the volume down as well make your amp sound better. It is a studio trick that's been used for years. Next, a naturally quieter guitar. My Les Paul will make a 5 watt amp sound like 50 by itself. I get my American Standard telecaster out for quieter playing.