Loss of Power and 5 Watt mode distorted

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Hey guys...have an express 5:50 1x12 combo and the title says it all. In 5 watt mode the amp is distorted and has nearly no volume. The 50 watt mode sounds okay but isn't overly loud at half volume..although it is relatievly loud. I tried 2 sets of power tubes with no luck. I will say that neither set was new but also weren't blown out. Any thoughts??? I bought the amp used and the guy didn;t have the receipt..

TheRazMeister said:
Hey guys...have an express 5:50 1x12 combo and the title says it all. In 5 watt mode the amp is distorted and has nearly no volume. The 50 watt mode sounds okay but isn't overly loud at half volume..although it is relatievly loud. I tried 2 sets of power tubes with no luck. I will say that neither set was new but also weren't blown out. Any thoughts??? I bought the amp used and the guy didn;t have the receipt..

yeah but you didn't try new preamp tubes did you ??
If I bought a used amp with no receipts that didn't work perfect I'd get it fully checked out by a good amp tech ! I'd also stick all new tubes in it :mrgreen:

Try replacing the phase inverter/driver tube (V4?). It's probably the hardest working tube in the amp and should be replaced with power tubes. My Express 5:50 had the same problem and this cured it.

I think the reason that the amp works better in 50 watt mode rather than 5 watt mode is that the tube works harder in 5 watt mode and can still be good enough to kind of get by when in 50 watt mode.

Back