The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:09 pm 
Mark II

I have a R Cray Artist Strat, a 50's Series Strat and a Baja Tele.
I love the tone of all 3 on my 5:25 w/ 10" Celestion.
The Cray and the Tele have stock pup's in them, but I upgraded the 50's series w/ a set of CS Texas Specials. I rarely use the Bridge pups on the Strat, but stay w/ pos 3, 4 and 5. The Neck pup's on both strats sound awesome through the little Boogie. I use the clean for rythym and kick in the Blues for more sparkle and grit on leads.
I've gotten spoiled and don't like to gig, or jam w/ anything except my Boogie!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:28 pm 
Mark I

I have also recently walked this road. eventually solved by installing a pre-wired guard with Fralin unbucker in the bridge + blues specials mid + neck.

Before doing that though, I did find i could improve my Americam std bridge pup tones (less ice pick) by adding a compressor (Diamond), playing through a Marshal voiced overdrive (Pinnacle II), and/or adding a bit of germanium fuzz (Keeley Fuzzhead). Of course, all of this stuff sounds even better through the unbucker, which remains duck-like enough when tapped that I now feel i've got the best of both worlds.

...why can't this... quack, quack... be luuuuvvvv...!

:D scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:11 pm 
Bottle Rocket

yeh this is weired ,i have a much loved fat strat ,that had a symore duncan pearly gates in the bridge and two texas specials .well i was getting a little bored with the sound and especially after i got the boogie the guitar just didnt sound alive .i thought it was the amp because i have had a few issuse with it .i decided to change the picupps .i am a little green on this subject so decided to stay safe and put a jb in the bridge leave the texas in the mid and a little 59 in the kneck.when i plugged the guitar in well talk about unimpressed the guitar sounded ok but seemed to lack clarity and sounds muddy and a bit wooly i have tryed different settings and volume to try to get this axe to punch through anyway i thought that it was my valves going until i happend to buy (for traveling i work away alot ) an esp st strat ..well i pluged it in and the amp came to life and the stock single coil pickups are bloody awsome they are clear and punchy and powerfull i then plugged my fender in and it was back to playing underwater i find it strage how such renowned and expensive pickups can sound so dull and probably chineses stock picups in a buget guitar sound so bloody fantastic is it me or am i missing thne point :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:34 pm 
Bottle Rocket

even my tele with stock picups sound a bit lifless in comparison with the cheap guitar ,i have been playing 28 years and know what a guitar should sound like through a good tube amp but i suppose you can become accustomed to a sound but i am overwelmbed by the sound of these cheap picups even on my wha which is a dual fasel they are clear and have plenty of voice and wha hwha wha but the seymores cut out some of the wha whitch i was always a bit suss about i will turn on the wha and it sort of jumps from deep tone to crisp with nothing inbettween i got my guitar wired up by a pro but maybee hes done it wrong or maybee the cheaper picups are just better full stop i will shut up about it now :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 pm 
Mark IV

Well I've never been a fan of the Fender guitar 1st position single coil bridge tone.
I've never heard anyone get a great tone from it and I never have on a Strat or Tele.
All bridge PUPs are too thin on a Fender for my liking through any amp or pedal.
It's a feature of single coil PUPs that can't be overcome imo.

I'm a 2nd and 5th position man on a Strat. They are THE great Strat sounds imo.
For me humbuckers in the bridge of a Strat don't help at all and only ruin the 2nd position tone.

Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:39 pm 
Mark II

Problem solved: I took back my custom shop strat to GC & picked up a used John Petrucci signature Music Man. First time I had Dimarzio pickups since 1980. I really like the sound through the express much better with my PRS & Music Man than even the high-end SCN fenders.

No dis to Fender -- I still love the cleans with my stock tele & strats.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:11 am 
Bottle Rocket

I know this is an ancient thread, but just in case others stumble across it I just wanted to add this:
I wasn't too happy with my strat on Express 5:250+ until I dialed it in like this: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=71825
Now channel 1 sounds just fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:29 pm 
Mark II

Don wrote:
The Strat's bridge pickup is notoriously weak. A lot of players won't use it with any amp! I grew up on Strats (I've had close to a dozen of them since buying my first in 1986) and don't have a problem with it. There are a few solutions- one is to use a hotter single coil pickup, another is to put a steel plate on the bottom of the pickup-this will focus the sound kind of like a Tele, you could also install a single coil size (or full size) humbucker in the bridge position (I think this is what the OP needs).

I love my Tele with my Express 5:50. I have a Fralin Blues Special bridge pickup in it which is fatter sounding than a stock Tele pickup but still has some twang. For years I considered putting a Tele bridge pickup in my Strat!

I watched a video of a Clapton concert once where he was using one of his gold Strats and on close up they had a little piece of gaffer tape over the back of the pickup selector slot so he would not accidentally go into the two neck positions.

I replaced the stock PU's in my 2011 AmStd with Fat 50's. The originals were good but the Fat 50's are REALLY good including the bridge which I really only use live as it cuts through the mix but has a little fatness the stocks didn't have.