Doug's Tubes evaluation

5:25 and 5:50's

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Bigfellla
Bottle Rocket

Re: Doug's Tubes evaluation

Post by Bigfellla » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 am

Krek13 wrote:I know, thats why I said to turn the volume up or get a tubescreamer (gain to zero, volume to max which pushes the amp)...
Ok thanks mate, ill look into that.

amrose57
Mark II

Post by amrose57 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:31 am

Good morning all. At a rehearsal yesterday heard some light crackling and I would sometimes loose a note as it decayed. Obviously preamp tube issue. Have had a set of Doug's tubes for my Express 5:25+ but just hadn't gotten around to putting them in. Amp is new (Got it March 7th this year) so I wasn't in a big hurry. So this morning I swapped out all 5 of the 12AX7A's with Doug's recommended tube layout. I must say my hiss is reduced by quite a bit - still some there, but much less noticeable. Especially on the clean channel. I am set up for clean channel rhythm, blues channel rhythm, can and do use the solo on each, and get my dirt from either a Quinn Hot Buttered Scotch or a Fulltone OCD. All-in-all, I think I hear a bit "fatter" tone as well, but need to get the tubes burned in for a few hours before I come to the final conclusion. I will say that so far, the sound is such that I'll probably buy another set from Doug's Tubes to keep as a spare set, so I can use an exact replacement if one does go down.

Question for all - has anyone used any Mullard 12AX7a's in their express?

Thanks!!

Al

SteveB
Bottle Rocket

Post by SteveB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:47 pm

amrose57 wrote:Good morning all. At a rehearsal yesterday heard some light crackling and I would sometimes loose a note as it decayed. Obviously preamp tube issue. Have had a set of Doug's tubes for my Express 5:25+ but just hadn't gotten around to putting them in. Amp is new (Got it March 7th this year) so I wasn't in a big hurry. So this morning I swapped out all 5 of the 12AX7A's with Doug's recommended tube layout. I must say my hiss is reduced by quite a bit - still some there, but much less noticeable. Especially on the clean channel. I am set up for clean channel rhythm, blues channel rhythm, can and do use the solo on each, and get my dirt from either a Quinn Hot Buttered Scotch or a Fulltone OCD. All-in-all, I think I hear a bit "fatter" tone as well, but need to get the tubes burned in for a few hours before I come to the final conclusion. I will say that so far, the sound is such that I'll probably buy another set from Doug's Tubes to keep as a spare set, so I can use an exact replacement if one does go down.

Thanks!!

Al
Al,
Did you replace the power tubes too? And with the preamp tubes did you follow Doug's recommendation exactly or switch the V1/V2 and V4/V5 tubes as others have suggested on this thread?

Thanks,
Steve

amrose57
Mark II

Post by amrose57 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:01 am

SteveB wrote:
amrose57 wrote:Good morning all. At a rehearsal yesterday heard some light crackling and I would sometimes loose a note as it decayed. Obviously preamp tube issue. Have had a set of Doug's tubes for my Express 5:25+ but just hadn't gotten around to putting them in. Amp is new (Got it March 7th this year) so I wasn't in a big hurry. So this morning I swapped out all 5 of the 12AX7A's with Doug's recommended tube layout. I must say my hiss is reduced by quite a bit - still some there, but much less noticeable. Especially on the clean channel. I am set up for clean channel rhythm, blues channel rhythm, can and do use the solo on each, and get my dirt from either a Quinn Hot Buttered Scotch or a Fulltone OCD. All-in-all, I think I hear a bit "fatter" tone as well, but need to get the tubes burned in for a few hours before I come to the final conclusion. I will say that so far, the sound is such that I'll probably buy another set from Doug's Tubes to keep as a spare set, so I can use an exact replacement if one does go down.

Thanks!!

Al
Al,
Did you replace the power tubes too? And with the preamp tubes did you follow Doug's recommendation exactly or switch the V1/V2 and V4/V5 tubes as others have suggested on this thread?

Thanks,
Steve
Good morning Steve. I used Doug's recommendation for the preamp tubes and did not switch out the power tubes. I plan on rolling with this set-up for a while, then do the switch folks recommend here to see the difference.

Al

DannyB_KY
Mark I

Post by DannyB_KY » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:27 pm

FYI, According to his website, Doug claims to burn in all his tubes prior to testing.

POST UPDATE for Doug's Tubes:

As I have stated before, my 5/50+ was only a few weeks old when I called Doug. I strongly disliked the tone of every channel on my Mesa. I followed his suggestion and I completely retubed the amp, including the changing the 6L6s.

As far as I'm concerned, he has magical instinct.

His tube wizardry transformed my "blah" Mesa into a monster blues machine!

My tube mic-pre is tubed as he recommended. Outstanding performance, also!
PRS Custom 22-Mesa 5:50Plus--GSC GX-7
Black Strat-----Mesa V2x12----DBX PA2
White Strat-----Laney LC-15---2200W 15' sub