Replacement speakers for 5:50 combo. Bass lost in blues mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynamiten

Reaction score
Hello!
I wonder if it there´s anyone out there who has replaced the stock c90 speaker in 5:50. I think it´s a bit icy in the highs if U know what I mean?
I´m thinking of putting a Celestion vintage 30 in there, or a Jensen C12K 100 w.. (fender-vibe)
Is the V30 to weak (60 w)?
I mostly play clean mode with pedals like Fulltone fd2 and OCD. This because I have experienced a pretty great loss of bass in the blues mode compared to the clean mode. Even with the bass turned all the way up in blues mode.. Anyone else experienced the same?

This is anyway the best amp I´ve ever owned and I have a lot of other amps such as a 70´s Silverface Twin, 65 reissue Deluxe, 2203 Marshall, Vox AC30 90´s reissue.

I have the Vintage 30 in mine, I'm rolling the bass down around 8 / 9 o'clock, seems I can't get it out enough. I also run a 2 x 12 closed back with Helltone's when using the clean channel but when I run in the burn mode I can't use it because it's way to bassy. The little experience I do have with my 5:50 seems that everything is based off the Trebble control, it seems to really dictate how the rest of the eq reacts.

I tried an Eminence Tonker in mine. It was louder, punchier and cut better. I liked the original C-90 better. It has a richer, warmer sound at the expense of getting lost in the mix if you're not careful. I don't find mine to be ice picky at all. In fact, the Blues mode can get a little to warm.

Skully said:
I have the Vintage 30 in mine, I'm rolling the bass down around 8 / 9 o'clock, seems I can't get it out enough. I also run a 2 x 12 closed back with Helltone's when using the clean channel but when I run in the burn mode I can't use it because it's way to bassy. The little experience I do have with my 5:50 seems that everything is based off the Trebble control, it seems to really dictate how the rest of the eq reacts.

I have a 2x12 cab with V30's so I can A/B them against the Black Shadow anytime.
I prefer the V30's for everything - especially rock and blues.

Dynamiten obviously LUV's bass if he's cranking it up high on any channel. Mine never goes above 10 oclock.
It's a very bass heavy amp IMHO.
I get no bass loss when switching from the clean channel.
Are you sure there's not a tech prob with the amp.
I'd test out another one at a store :mrgreen:

Back