Tone Tubby Out, EV In!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundchaser59

Reaction score
I thought I had the real money when I put this 10 inch Tone Tubby in my 5.25.

But....... not so fast here Fella. :shock:

Last night I did side by side with ALL of my speakers. Same settings on everything, just switch speakers.

The Tone Tubby lost. It was too bright, too edgy, almost harsh and brash. Sure, I could reset everything and get good sound out of it, but then when I switch back to the other speakers the whole setup sounded dark and muddy and subdued, etc. To make the Tubby sound good I have to dial out almost all of the high tone settings on everything, including turning the tone knobs on the guitar down to 1 or 2.

I dont know if that means the other speakers are crap and the Tone Tubby is just that good? Or if it means the Tubby actually is too bright, too edgy, almost harsh and brash. I just know I like it better when I dont have to reset everything. I can get good settings for the other four speakers and they all sound great......different, but still great. The other four are single EVM12L, 15 inch alnico Blue Dog, 12 inch Commonwealth, and 2x10 Delta Demons.

Next stop?

Sell the Tubby and bring in the EV Force 10. :twisted: :) :lol: 8)

I acquired a near-mint condition 1990-ish EV Force 10 speaker from the bay....... should be here next week some time. I'll probably have to get oversized engine mounting bolts to hold the thing in place, but cant wait to hear it. The Tone Tubby is boxed and ready to sail.....

My little ole 10" Blue Pup has found a home in mine. He'll stay there till he dies. The more I bang on it, the better it gets. Kinda wish it were a 50 or 100 watter though. sigh. The 10"er overpowers the 12" 50 watt Dog.

I tried an EV Force 10 in my '68 Princeton Reverb several years ago. It was loud and punchy but lacked sparkle. The amp hardly sounded like a Fender with that speaker in it. It was a very cool speaker and probably would have been fine if I modded the amp or was using it with pedals for a harder rock sound.

I think it would kick a$$ in a 5:25!

I traded the speaker for amp repairs that I was having done on another amp.

This EV Force 10 is awesome. I like it because it is (according to my ears personal bias) totally honest sound. I can hear exactly what my guitar chain and amp are putting out. Lows are tight and controlled, mids and highs are as clear and detailed as I want, or not, etc. I had my pedal board set a certain way from when I had the Tone Tubby in there, and I switched speakers without changing the board. When I tested the EV I heard some of that fizzy misquito buzzy preamp distortion that I hate so much. I had not heard that with the other speakers. So I was able to dial that out and clean up my sound. With the Allums modded pedals I have, this speaker is really what this 5.25 Express needed for me.

The only thing is, I had to carve out a small rounded "spoon" dip in the bottom of the cab, to allow space for the slightly thicker rim on the EV basket. I dont know why Mesa designed this cab to be sooo darn tight that the speaker rims touch the bottom of the cab inside. Would it have hurt so bad to make the cab another half inch taller? It's not like they dont know that people swap out speakers all the time.......

Anyway, this is the best thing to happen to this amp for my needs. I've never had a ton of money for amps, but this is easily the best combo amp I've ever had. My next experiment is to create a sound using the 10 inch, then plug in the EV 12 inch and see if it sounds the same. If so, then I can use the amp to design the sound, then connect the 12 inch for recording in the booth.

Back