Express Extension Cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant777

Reaction score
I've got the little 1x10 5:25 and was thinking about getting the 1x12 (19inch) extension cabinet. Excuse my ignorance, but there is no issue with a 1x10 sitting over a 1x12 cab? I thought that having the 1x12 would give me a little wider tonal response?

Anyone using a THD hotplate? It has two parallel speaker outputs right? So I would need to get a 4ohm Hotplate to drive the 1x10 and 1x12 ext cab. Which speaker output would I use on the 1x10 combo back panel. I would assume just one of the 4ohm outputs right?

Hint's and suggestions appreciated.

I replaced my 10" internal speaker with a Weber ceramic 30 watt Blue Pup. Got a cheap Marshall cab and put a 12" Weber alnico 50 watt Blue Dog, 8 ohm in there. The two together sound excellent. Big sound....yeah, wider. I also have a big old Yamaha cab with, I think, 6 10" speakers, 8 ohm cab.. sounds awesome run with the 12" Blue Dog. Huge low end. I've also run the internal 10"er with a 4 ohm Peavey 4X10 cab. Gave a great sorta dirty sound on the clean channel. That probably cooks the tubes pretty good though. Completely different sounds from the amp with different speaker combinations. The 1X12 by itself sounds great too. I want to try a 15" speaker with it too.

Experiment man. I don't think I'd try 2 4 ohm cabs but an 8 and a 4 don't seem to hurt it. Maybe try a 16 ohm with the internal 8 ohm. Try different kinds of speakers.

Hotplate: never tried one.

Grant777 said:
I've got the little 1x10 5:25 and was thinking about getting the 1x12 (19inch) extension cabinet. Excuse my ignorance, but there is no issue with a 1x10 sitting over a 1x12 cab? I thought that having the 1x12 would give me a little wider tonal response?

Anyone using a THD hotplate? It has two parallel speaker outputs right? So I would need to get a 4ohm Hotplate to drive the 1x10 and 1x12 ext cab. Which speaker output would I use on the 1x10 combo back panel. I would assume just one of the 4ohm outputs right?

Hint's and suggestions appreciated.

It a pretty aggressive (volume wise) little amp for sure but be VERY careful incorporating a Hotplate. There is a bible of very interesting discussions about attenuators over on the TGP forums. Some discussions about newer attenuators which include the guys that build them and some heavy hitter amp manufacturers chime in as well. Not saying don't do it but be aware of the issues before you subject your power amp to them.

I've tried a bunch of cabs with my 5:25 (because I have a bunch sitting around) and I really think Mesa made the right choice with the Vintage 30 12. It, all things considered, is sonically correct choice for me.

I don't know if you can get em in Dubai but an Avatar 1X12 with a vintage 30 would be cool. Or an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30's and take the 10 out of the equation.

Back