5:25 Rocks!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guywithboogie

Reaction score
I just picked up a new 5:25 1x12 and am loving the tone. This little amp really rocks.
The cleans are sweet, the blues channel hits the spot, and I love mid gain settings on the burn channel.
Plus, the contour and 5W setting give it a world of possibilities.
All this in a nice manageable package that you can actually carry around.

Mesa does it again!

I agree on all points.

I just picked up my 5:25-1x12 combo yesterday and couldn't be happier.

Great Amp!

Had mine a month now, been very happy with it when using the amp on channel 1 Clean.

However, I have been a tad dissapointed with the Crunch, Blues and Burn channels. Before you slate me let me explain.
O.K. I use my 5:25 purely for home use, consequently noise/loudness is an important consideration. The highest I have been able to crank the master volume on either channel is about a quarter of an inch up from fully off. It is simply just too loud to turn it up any further. Yes, I am using it on 5 watts before anyone asks. In fact whether I switch to 5 or 25 there is no difference in volume at the current master volume position.

So, obviously (I presume) I am not pushing the valves into the "sweet" spot as far as tone is concerned. Even with the Gain maxed out at these volumes I am getting nothing inspirational tone wise out of this amp.

Hopefully, my prayers for a cool sounding Mesa will soon be answered, I have just ordered a THD Hotplate which will allow me to crank up the drive on those EL84's or is it the 12AX7's that need to be cooking?

The Hotplate should be here in a couple of days, hopefully I will be able to report back some positive news about the awesome tones that will be flowing out of this thing.

I'll keep you informed.

Hey Fred! Don't mean to discourage you since it may not be possible where you are to turn the amp up any louder. But...a large part of getting the tone from any amp is getting the speakers pumping air. Even if you do get the tubes working hard with a hotplate, you're still not going to be working the speaker. And it takes time to get a speaker really sounding good too...got to bang the heck out of them. (some will debate this, but I've found it to be true in my experience.) The speakers are part of the sweet spot.

I assure you, the tones are THERE. So don't give up on the amp. Take that sucker out of the house somewhere you can let it wail. Get an extension cabinet and stick a really nice speaker in it. It will blow your face off.

I'm just saying you're not going to get much inspirational tone from the amp unless you can push it like it's designed to do.

I hope the hotplate will get you there. Good luck with your Tone Quest. 8)

fredm said:
In fact whether I switch to 5 or 25 there is no difference in volume at the current master volume position.

That doesn't sound right to me, my 5:50 gives a noticeable volume increase when switching to 50, I would have expected similar on the 5:25.

Hotplate works pretty well with mine. The -12db and -16db settings do degrade the tone, though.

A little volume jump from 5W to 25W, but not much. However, completely changes the tone of the amp.

Mullenski said:
Hotplate works pretty well with mine. The -12db and -16db settings do degrade the tone, though.

A little volume jump from 5W to 25W, but not much. However, completely changes the tone of the amp.

Thats because 5W and 25W are different configurations 5W is Class A 25W is A/B.

Me and a mate tried a Hotplate on his 5150 recently and as you say the tone degrades greater the attenuation selected.

boswell said:
fredm said:
In fact whether I switch to 5 or 25 there is no difference in volume at the current master volume position.

That doesn't sound right to me, my 5:50 gives a noticeable volume increase when switching to 50, I would have expected similar on the 5:25.

+1
noticeable volume increase here between 5 & 25 (Dyna-watt 30w) using the 5:25.
I'm using the Kock LB120-II as loadbox and it is only when I reduce from 40% to 15% under 25w that I can match the level.

fredm said:
Yes, I am using it on 5 watts before anyone asks. In fact whether I switch to 5 or 25 there is no difference in volume at the current master volume position.

I don't know, maybe it's my ears but I don't think there is a huge difference in volume when I toggle bettween 5 and 25 watts. Definately a change in tone, can't argue with that, a big change in tone for sure. It sounds like the speaker has shrunk a couple of inches (mine is the 12" speaker) there is a lot less bass, the low E string doesn't rattle the windows as it does on the 25w position.

Thanks for your comments. The Hotplate should be here tomorrow.

Wow ! Now we are cooking. I had my doubts for a while, but it's all good now. All I got to say is............

God bless America. Mesa + Thd Hotplate + 08' American Standard Strat = wicked guitar tone.

BEN%20%20%2019.03.09%20004.jpg

I think I'll be hanging onto this for a while now. : )

All tube amps should be fitted with these as standard.

Sorry about the pic size.

Are you REALLY using that Hotplate on -16dB???

On that setting they add a real awful harseness to the the tone, the 2 I've played through made a Cornford and 5150 sound like cheap modelling amps!

During the day when my neighbours are at work I can get away with the -12db setting.

In the evening though, there's no way I could use that setting, at least not if I want to maintain good community relations. I agree it does affect the tone in a negative way, though it's not so bad on the clean channel.

Wish I lived out of town.

I'm just pleased that the Gain controls actually work now. They didn't do diddly when the master volume was turned almost to zero.

Back