5:25 In Jam Session

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twally

Reaction score
Well,

I finally got to use my new 5:25 (with the 12" speaker) in a jam session. I also used a compact Mesa 1/12 cabinet w/C90, that I used to set the 5:25 on. The litle amp flat hung with a heavy handed drummer (it was set to the 30 watt setting). I had the masters up to about 1030 or 1100 and that was plenty of volumn. I still had a little volumn left on my guitar at that setting.

THe tone was to die for. The amp flat cuts through the mix. I heard all notes played and nothing was muted or farty. I also have a Lone Star Special and I think I may like this amp a little better. ALthough the LSS has a 4/10 cabinet, the two 12" speakers were still tight sounding to me.

So, for anyone thinking the LSS is a better amp than the 5:25, all I can say is BS. I will be selling my LSS in the very near future. IMO the 5:25 sounds just as good (and maybe better) and is quit a bit lighter and easier to haul around. The contour feature of the Express Series really opens these amps up.

JMHO,

TW :D

I stand next to the drummer, and if I turn mine up past 9 o'clock then I get told to turn it down.

The thing sounds great thru a 1x12 and a 2x10 at the same time. Express and Tone Tubby go together really well.

It aint no slouch toy...... I practiced thru a little Vox hybrid for 3 weeks for a church gig, then after the gig I went back to the Express. WOW! I was stunned at how great the sound is compared to the other stuff out there.

Mine's made a 50 watt DSL Marshall have to push to hang with me running through the 10" Blue Pup and an external 4 ohm 4X10 cab. Master around 9-10 oclock. These little things will scream.

I've recently started playing with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet pedal with it. That can REALLY jack up the volume! However, I've found myself not liking the tone as much as just the straight Boogie....kinda thins it out. The Boogie tone is rounder and fatter.....more organic and rich. All by itself.

For a bottom-of-the-line amp, the 5:25 is still impressing me. Huge number of different sounds, depending on speaker configurations. The tone just astounds me at times.

And keeps my wife happy when I get into 5 watt, hit the clean channel, crank the gain, turn down the mids and bass, set the master at about 7 o'clock (barely on), little reverb, and get some fat sweet clean pickin quacky strat stuff.

StevenL said:
I've recently started playing with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet pedal with it. That can REALLY jack up the volume! However, I've found myself not liking the tone as much as just the straight Boogie....kinda thins it out. The Boogie tone is rounder and fatter.....more organic and rich. All by itself..

Pretty much the same here. FD2 is still usefull to get some rock sounds, but yes, the 5:25 still more organic and rich and for blues it is really nice.

Back