Tubes / Bass

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skully

Reaction score
Just changed my preamp tubes over to the ones recommended at Dougstubes. Here's the deal, the amp had no volume until I put the Mesa back in V1, went and bought some standard JJ's and put in V1 and V5 so now am running

JJ
High Gain JJ ECC83
Penta 12AX7
Shuguang 12AX7 8th gen
JJ

I'm not sure how many different JJ's there are, I had just went down to the local shop and told him I need 2 preamp tubes.

The thing now is my amp seems especially 'bassy", as we all know the Express doesn't need any help in that area, I normally run my bass down around 9 oclock, never past 10. The setup has brought the natural distortion into a very nice place but just can't get the bass out of it. I'm running the V30 in the combo and a closed back 2x12 with Helltone 60's.

Skully said:
Just changed my preamp tubes over to the ones recommended at Dougstubes. Here's the deal, the amp had no volume until I put the Mesa back in V1, went and bought some standard JJ's and put in V1 and V5 so now am running

JJ
High Gain JJ ECC83
Penta 12AX7
Shuguang 12AX7 8th gen
JJ

I'm not sure how many different JJ's there are, I had just went down to the local shop and told him I need 2 preamp tubes.

The thing now is my amp seems especially 'bassy", as we all know the Express doesn't need any help in that area, I normally run my bass down around 9 oclock, never past 10. The setup has brought the natural distortion into a very nice place but just can't get the bass out of it. I'm running the V30 in the combo and a closed back 2x12 with Helltone 60's.

Well that's bad luck Skully,
I've had 5 sets of tubes shipped to Australia by Doug and have never had a bad tube yet.
Any chance of getting those tubes replaced for free by Doug.
I can assure you that the tubes Doug sold to me did not make the amp more bassy.
They were the same as you've got in it now except for V1 & V5

I've gotten 2 sets of bad power tubes from Doug before...which sucks, BUT he's a super straight up guy, and he took care of me. I ordered one set and didn't like them so ordered another about 6 months later. Come to find out they were miss-matched. When I tried the older set they were miss-matched as well. So I emailed Doug, sent them back, and he sent me 2 new quads of tubes. Tubes can be easily damaged in shipment, so I'm assuming my UPS guy is rough on boxes; but Doug always takes care of you.

Back