Tone Experts (prs)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony541

Reaction score
MESA BOOGIE Express 5:50
PRS 20th anniversary custom 24
HFS Treble pickup and Vintage Bass Humbuckers 5 Rotary switch
“TONE QUESTIONS”
So I just bought this brand spanking new PRS guitar that has been sitting in its case since March 2006 it’s a ten top custom 24. My question; is it me or just the guitar? The tone I’m getting is a “thin” sound, but I want a smooth rich little thicker sound how can this be possible? I’m playing the guitar through a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50, I’m also using my Boss digital delay (dd7) and my Ibanez tube screamer (TS9). My 2005 PRS Santana Se has a bit thicker sound not so light or thing compare to my new PRS 20th anniversary custom 24, I had both guitars professionally set up with 11 gauge strings both using Pure Blues, I love the way my Santana Se sounds but my new PRS custom 24 feels like its playing on just the treble pickups. Please let me know if this is normal, for the guitar to sound real light almost if was just playing on treble? I did try messing with adjusting the tones, and turning up the bass on the amp but I’m still getting that real Light sound. Please help me out is it normal for the guitar to sound too thin or do I need to make some tube adjustments to the amp? Thanks!!

Hi

Have you tried playing it without the two pedals you mentioned? The quest for tone is like cooking, not all great ingredients will taste good together.

Also, does the digital delay you have allow the original signal through or does it digitise (spelling!) the entire signal?

Regards

ML

The DD7 shouldnt digitize your signal. The Cu24s have much hotter pickups compared to the Santana PRS. Maybe that's the difference you are hearing?

I agree with martin's assessment of the issue. The guitar sound is different from the santana as I would expect it to be. As in any quest for good guitar tone, you have 4 areas to look at (In no particular order):

1) Guitar
2) Pickups
3) Amp
4) Signal Processing

I would strip it back to the guitar and amp alone. Dial it in as best as you can for the sound you are after. Then you can start making decisions on pickups/effects based on the results.

It's also worthwhile to mention that it's not really a good idea to have two guitars that sound exactly the same. What's the point really? Unless you are in a big band and need several "working guitars", I would try and get the two guitars to sound sweet, but different from each other so you have some versatility.

I own 3 guitars, A LP Std with stock burstbuckers for my main rock sound, A Hamer Std with EMG ZW set for metal and a stock G&L S-500 for my blues/strat sound.

Up until the LP and G&L, I had never owned a guitar that I didn't swap pickups out with. Once I got the Hamer to sound the way I wanted, the LP and the G&L were purchased with a specific purpose in mind.

If you are the type of working musician and expect to use the new ax as your main, and your santana as a backup, then get the right type of pickups to produce the sound you expect.

Good luck!

M

martinluckhurst said:
Hi

Have you tried playing it without the two pedals you mentioned? The quest for tone is like cooking, not all great ingredients will taste good together.

Also, does the digital delay you have allow the original signal through or does it digitise (spelling!) the entire signal?

Regards

ML
yeah i tried it with out the pedals but no cigar, according to prs the HFS are a very high output pickups but the guitar sounded dead, i had the volume high and still no results so they suggested going with the custom 22 with dragons since they are close to santana's pickups

Latest posts

Back