Recommendations?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the board and don't own a Boogie (yet) but might in the very near future depending upon what I hear from you guys.

I've been looking at the Express 5:50 combo (with the single 12). This amp would replace both a Super Reverb and Deluxe Reverb that I'm currently playing though. I use the Super at larger gigs and the Deluxe at smaller ones. It seems to me that the 5:50 would more than adequately replace both of my current amps.

Anyway, I play in a band that performs a very wide range of material. We do everything from classic country stuff (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, etc.) to modern country (Toby Keith, George Strait). We also play blues (Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Albert King, SRV) classic rock (Skynyrd, Cream) modern rock (Green Day, etc.). So as you can see, I need an amp that will handle a wide range of tones from ultra-clean, to dirty, to semi-high gain. The only thing I don't need it to do is an ultra-high gain metal tone.

I would love to hear opinions from those of you that own the 5:50 combo if you think this is the amp for me. I've looked at the Lonestar also, but alas, it is far out of my price range. As far as guitars go, I would be playing a Clapton Strat and a Gibson 335 through the amp.

Thanks for your opinions,

-Darryl

I think the Express would be perfect for your needs. If I were you, I would check out both the 5:50 and the 5:25. It's possible you might end up liking a 5:50 better, but you might like the 5:25. Also, you may end up preferring a 2x10 for the sound you're after. One of those amps should get what you want, in my opinion.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking about the 2/12 version, but I'd like to keep the amp as light as possible. Thanks for the recommendation about the 5:25 too, I'll check it out.

-Darryl

No problem...well, if you're REALLY grateful I'll take the 335 :mrgreen:

I've owned both - Lonestar and Express - I like the Express 5:50 better, it seems more versatile. More modern sounding Lead ("Burn") channel. It really has three overdrive options ("Crunch", Blues", "Burn"). 50 less watts, though. Spend the extra hundred bucks and get the 2 x 12 model, or look for a used one. My used 2 x 12 Express was a grand.
My two cents.

Thanks again guys. (Sorry I'm not that grateful - you're not getting my 335).

On your recommendations I bought a 5:50 Express today. It's fabulous. I haven't been able to stop playing all day and I think my wife's ready to choke me, but it's great. It does everything I wanted it to do.

Thanks again,

-Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I was in the same position as you about a month ago and after doing a lot of research online and trying out the amps I was interested in, I also bought the Express 5:50 (head + widebody 1x12 cab). It is an amazing piece of equipment! :mrgreen: It replaced a solid state Marshall and there is just no comparison. It took a little fiddling with the controls but both my Les Paul and my Mosrite copy sound great through it...even at low volume! Likewise, my wife is about ready to take a bat to my head if I crank it up again :roll: . I play mine every night after work and into the night.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

SurfPunk

Back