express vs. f-100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peedenmark7

Reaction score
hi guys I am new to the boogie forum.
I'll openly say that I do not currently own a mesa product but over the years have had more than my share of vintage marks.
about a year and a half ago , I came upon an orange tolexed with cane grill F-100 1/2 stack in one of the stores in my area.
I tried this amp out no less than 4 times before finally deciding it wasnt going to be what I had hoped. I must have brought 10 varying types of guitars over a 4 months period in hopes that I would hear something else...
coming from a rich vintage marshall background including plexis, mv's and jubs I suppose I am wanting some of that tone.
the gain on the f-100 was fine, different of course, but kind of hard to control at higher volumes.... I loved the cleans !
I tried the loop trick and it did help , man this is one loud f-ing amp !!
but... again... I wasnt 100% and walked from it 3 times.

even still, for some odd reason I cant stop from scratching this itch. I called the local store last week where the amp was hoping to trade some gear thats going unused against it ,but its gone... bummer because I really want the cane and orange tolex look.

the salesman claimed that the express is basically the same amp.

can anyone tell me what the differences are and what I can expect versus the f-100.? same loop trick etc?

peedenmark7 said:
hi guys I am new to the boogie forum.
I'll openly say that I do not currently own a mesa product but over the years have had more than my share of vintage marks.
about a year and a half ago , I came upon an orange tolexed with cane grill F-100 1/2 stack in one of the stores in my area.
I tried this amp out no less than 4 times before finally deciding it wasnt going to be what I had hoped. I must have brought 10 varying types of guitars over a 4 months period in hopes that I would hear something else...
coming from a rich vintage marshall background including plexis, mv's and jubs I suppose I am wanting some of that tone.
the gain on the f-100 was fine, different of course, but kind of hard to control at higher volumes.... I loved the cleans !
I tried the loop trick and it did help , man this is one loud f-ing amp !!
but... again... I wasnt 100% and walked from it 3 times.

even still, for some odd reason I cant stop from scratching this itch. I called the local store last week where the amp was hoping to trade some gear thats going unused against it ,but its gone... bummer because I really want the cane and orange tolex look.

the salesman claimed that the express is basically the same amp.

can anyone tell me what the differences are and what I can expect versus the f-100.? same loop trick etc?

As usual Salesmen are full of ****.
The F Series and the Express are very different amps.
I checked out the F-50 and F-100 before buying the 5:50. Plus I've played several F-50's since getting the 5:50.
The F series amps have more gain and is slightly better at the high gain end IMHO, but everywhere else it's inferior to the 5:50. Plus the F's are a parrallel loop - 5:50 is Series.
5:50 has better cleans, OD and reverb.
5:50 is much more versatile - 5w and 50w options both with different voices plus clean, crunch, blues & burn.
5:50 is better with pedals cause of the Series loop and the better clean channel.

The F-100 wattage is way too much for me. Has a power cut switch to 60w but that's still too much. Can't crank that amp at home.

50w in a Mesa is plenty for any venue mic'ed and the 5:50 has heaps of clean headroom. 5w is perfect for home use, recording and small venue gigs.

Best way to describe the 5:50 IMHO is a higher gain version of the Lonestar.

hey thanks for the info. I have not been over to check out the express yet, but while messing with the f-100 I did tinker with a blond lonestar.
the cleans were fantastic but the gain wasnt there for my tastes.
so if the express is a hot rod version its still way off.
I know there really is no one size fits all amp, but the gain was plenty for me in the F100 and I believe with a bit of in my home rather than timed or pressure cooker type tinkering in the music store setting that I believe I can get handle on the F.
I do agree the amp is way the heck to loud, but it seemed to me it sounded good at lower volumes. just when pushed she seemed to push back some... I didnt care for the 60 watt setting, kinda of rolls over like a marshall jubilee when in 1/2 power mode.
I shouldve bought this orange tolexed one, I could kick myself.. but live and learn.
probably appreciate one all the more once I get one and settle into it.

likely never be my main rig, it simply an itch I wanna scratch.

if any body has something to add to this topic it would be certainly appreciated.
thanks, john

yeah the express can get pretty high gain sounds but its (the way i see it) essentially a REALLY nice practice amp/entry level boogie. it can get a hi gain sound but its designed to be more versatile so it does alot but doesnt exceed how a lonestar exceeds in cleans a dual recto in metal etc...

i played an F-50 once and it was fantastic. not as much tweakability as i would have liked but the sounds are all there.

honestly both amps are great and i dont think ive ever tried a boogie i didnt like (except for maybe a 1x10 express 5:25, just too small sounding)

the lonestar was indeed a fantastic clean up, but nothing for gain, but then again the model name implies otherwise anyway.

I picked up a dual rect 1/2 stack about 5-6 years ago for silly cheap.. basically to flip it for quick cash for something else.
that was a one trick pony the opposite direction, total shred. cleans were abismol... and the gain way too mesa middy for me.
just didnt care for it.

so when I tried out this f100 I was sort of surprised that the gain , though very true to boogie tone was tolerable for a marshall guy. and the cleans were pretty nice as well.
I wonder what this amp would sound like with 10's ??

well. I am going to continue looking for that orange half stack that sold locally... but if another presetns its self... a bridge to cross at that time... I may try to do some horse trading.. seems the used market has come way down on them...so maybe a painless itch to scratch.

Latest posts

Back