Wanting to join the 5:50 club

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarnes

Reaction score
This is my first visit to this cool site. I have always played Fender amps. I play several styles and need versitile amps. I was fooling around at GC waiting for my son ... trying different amps and I tried the Express 5:50 and I can't stop thinking about it. I am planning to go down to the Hollywood store and check out all of the different models, but I think I am in love with the 5:50. I'm even thinking about selling my vintage 67 Princeton to buy one ....
Can you guys help me with a few questions:

Will Mesa Boogie honor the 5 yr warrantee for amps bought on ebay?

What is the difference between the 5:50 and the F-50 f-30 series? what comparable out of production models that have the veratility and awesome tone as the express series?

Some speaker options I'm considering? 1x12 combo with an 1x12 ext cab. or piggy back w/4x10 cab, or piggy back w/2x12, or ......
I want to get a big sound that will be enough even for an outside gig, without having to lug a 4x12. How much difference do the mesa cabs make? how are they with marshall or fender cabs?

I sold a super clean '68 Princeton Reverb to buy my 5:50 1 x 12 combo a year ago. I'm still loving the 5:50. No regrets (though I got to keep my '66 Vibrolux Reverb).

I tried the 5:50 and F-50 back to back. The 5:50 is more flexible than an F-50. It's clean sounds and reverb are much better. It has less gain available, though I liked the 5:50's gain better.

The F-50 is a harder rocking amp and it's clean sound is good enough fro most players. It kicked a$$.

In the end I was more than happy to pay about 40% more for a new 5:50 over a second hand F-50.

What he said....... spot on.

The Mesa cabs are noticeably better than other cabs, and they sound better with Mesa amps than any other cabs do.

My favorite speaker with these amps is the EVM12L. You can find them used on ebay most of the time. You can also order a 100 watt Blue Dog from Weber and that will sound really sweet. Tone Tubby's sound great with these amps, but a single TT is only rated at 40 watts.

Mesa will honor any warranty on any Mesa purchased from an authorized dealer, even if that dealer is selling on ebay. I think that is what we are "supposed to say"..... not sure if the actual practice may be more lenient..... most likely, they will honor it no matter what, as long as you are the registered owner. But make sure you get confirmation from someone who knows for sure.

thanks alot.

Are the theile cabs a logical choice for a single coil (thinner) guitar than the half open or three quarter backs?

One other question, how close does the mesa overdrive pedal with the tubes come to making a good fender sound like a mesa?

Don said:
I sold a super clean '68 Princeton Reverb to buy my 5:50 1 x 12 combo a year ago. I'm still loving the 5:50. No regrets (though I got to keep my '66 Vibrolux Reverb).

I tried the 5:50 and F-50 back to back. The 5:50 is more flexible than an F-50. It's clean sounds and reverb are much better. It has less gain available, though I liked the 5:50's gain better.

The F-50 is a harder rocking amp and it's clean sound is good enough fro most players. It kicked a$$.

In the end I was more than happy to pay about 40% more for a new 5:50 over a second hand F-50.

+1 agree with all that.
Plus F-50's have a parallel loop I think so that instantly counted them out for me.
The 5:50 is one of the most versatile amps money can buy. Fabulous with all pedals too cause the clean channel is so great.

As for cabs I had a 2x12 custom cab made for mine.
I bought 2 Celestion V30 speakers, then had a cab made & wired so I can run
1) the cab alone, or
2) the cab & the 5:50's speaker;

that gives me 3 speakers and sounds as full & big as a 4x12. I place them on different sides of the stage and can use the amp as a monitor also. Sounds much better and was $800 cheaper than any Mesa cab you can buy.

There are no pedals that can accurately simulate a Mesa's distortion tone.
I've owned 2 Fenders in the past. IMHO the 5:50's cleans, OD & spring reverb are better.

Lastly, the 5:50 and the Lonestar have a lot of bottom end so you'll get best tones by always keeping the Bass pot under 10 oclock :)

I actually called Mesa and asked how the warranty is transferred to a new owner within the 5 year warranty. "Chris" told me that a sales receipt is required for them to validate the warranty and I think if the warranty card has been sent in and is verified they will honor the warranty for the new owner.

I would also think if you are deciding to buy used to get one or both pieces of info and call Mesa to be absolutely positive. Tha this exactly what I intend to do.

Nubbs

Back