Hot 5:25 output transformer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the board. Just got a new 5:25 with the 12" Celestion. Sounds great, but after about 30 minutes I notice the big output transformer gets quite hot (untouchable after about 3 seconds of contact). The tubes are not red plating, but do run hotter than my (many!) other tube amps. My other amps' OT's do get warm after use, but not HOT.

I've asked around getting mixed answers. I called Mesa and was told that "transformers get hot" and to not worry about it. I asked Val King of King Amps (I live in the SF Bay Area) and he told me he would be concerned if a transformer got untouchably hot, but ceded that depending on the design a hot transformer is not unheard of.

I went to a local store and checked out the 5:25/12" they had, and sure enough it got hot after about 30 minutes of me acting like I was interested in the amp :wink:

Have you noticed this? I can't imagine that excessive heat is ever good, but should I be worried or is this how these amps roll?

BTW I assume you all will be safe and know not to willy-nilly stick your hand into the back of an amp, especially with a guitar in your other hand!

Thanks for your input!

Welcome to entropy, where-in 95% of all energy input is released as waste heat. It's Newton's fault.
And please stay away from the stove.

Back