problem when switching channels... help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemical69

Reaction score
I've got an Express 5:50 head and when I switch channels there is a slight delay when the sound cuts out. The sound cuts out for just a split-second but it is very annoying.

is this normal or do I have a defective unit? help!

I've noticed that in other amps but not with my 5:50 combo.

It sounds similar to a problem i had during a gig with my 5:50 Combo. On the final occasion though, changing channel out of a lead break, the amp went silent. All was lit up but no sound. I tried everything to no avail. I took the amp in for service and was told that the channel changing relays had given out in a position such that neither channel was engaged. Apparently quite cheap and nasty relays used in these amps. Got it back 5 weeks later and so far so good.

I experimented with this last night at a jam session, switching channels mid chord. No delay whatsoever (knock on wood). They guys in my band thought I was crazy though!

I went to the Mesa Boogie Hollywood store and tried out both the 5:50 and 5:25. Both had that slight delay I'm talking about. It doesn't always happen but depends on what you play. The store reps said it was normal because the circuit mutes briefly to prevent a 'pop' sound.

Guess I'm just a bit picky about the switching.

chemical69 said:
I went to the Mesa Boogie Hollywood store and tried out both the 5:50 and 5:25. Both had that slight delay I'm talking about. It doesn't always happen but depends on what you play. The store reps said it was normal because the circuit mutes briefly to prevent a 'pop' sound.

you must be super picky cause mine is almost instant. Certainly no slower than any other amp I've owned or heard :mrgreen:

Newysurfer said:
chemical69 said:

you must be super picky cause mine is almost instant. Certainly no slower than any other amp I've owned or heard :mrgreen:

yeah I keep thinking i'm crazy but the Express amps in the store were like that. It's just certain parts in the songs i play that i need instant switching... so it's annoying to have even a slight pause in our uptempo numbers.

Back