5:25 or 5:50...that is the question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubbs

Reaction score
Hi all....my name is Nubbs and I just found this forum and have been enjoying the threads.

Yesterday I stopped by Discount Music, located here in central Florida to look at what they had new or used in amps under 35 pounds. Much to my surprise the sales guy steered me to a Mesa 5:25. It was a pleasant experience right up until he mentioned it was the last one and it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get another. The time for ordering nor the price of 1149.00 was not a deal breaker.

My personal experience with Mesa amps has been with a F-50 a little over a year ago, after is sold my 11 year old ProSonic and bought a Supersonic 112. I tried the F-50 for a few days, but it was just way to loud for my playing on stage or at home.

I listened to the 5:25 with the 10" and was impressed with the voicings. The only thing that was a bit bothersome was the hum that it gets at certain settings. I have been reading about using Dougs Tubes to retube the amp for a humless or near humless sound. But I question why would Mesa send an amp out with the huming issues? I have also been reading the threads where the speaker is also changed...again why would Mesa not make it sound right from the begining??

My Fender Supersonic is a great amp and if it was not for the send and receive circuit allowing me to lower the overall volume and then push the amp at the lower volume.....it would be someone else's pride and joy. The Fender is bone stock and for me that works.

Here is what my questions are....is the 5:50 that much better sounding than the 5:25.....will it absolutely take retubing to clean the hiss and hum out of each one of these. The reason to change amps is to shed weight. the Supersonic weighs a ton and I am darned tired of lugging to the stage. I went one step further to shed weight by buying a Taylor T5, so I only have to carry one guitar. The T5 does both electric and acoustic sounds and is light and comfortable with a wonderful sound.

So let me know your thoughts cause I am going to make up my mind over the next two weeks.

Thanks,

Nubbs :lol:

I thought the 5:25 1x10 sounded small and boxy compared to the 5:50 1x12, though I din't really notice it until I played a Lonestar Special along side them. Then the 5:25 became unacceptable to me. (keep in mind that one player's "boxy" is another player's "focused".)

The 5:50 is very flexible, it sounds better at low volumes than an F-50 (that was in the group of amps that I played that afternoon- it had a better gain sound than any of the others that I tried that day). It's quite a bit larger and heavier (about 50 lbs) than the 5:25 1x10 though.

There is a 1x12 version of the 5:25 available. It's cab is as narrow as the 1X10's but taller. I don't know what it weighs.

D,
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately Discount Music did not have a 112 version of the 5:25. I will do some researchlook and see if the local Sam Ash or GC has one.

Yea the F-50 was a monster and for me it was over the top. It was sorta like the Prosonic I had. Although the Prosonic was a really powerful and loud amp. It had 2 tens and it was all i could do to keep the pictures from coming off the walls. The best part of the amp was the dual cascading gains.....most impressive.

take care... :wink:

Nubbs

My 5:25 has no "hum" problem at all. You can't even tell it's on with the master down low. Maybe the store had an external device causing the trouble.... pickup, nearby light, wiring, etc. I have had a slight struggle with some hiss but I've pretty much conquered that by learning how the gain is set up for the amp.

You can change the voicings many various ways by using external cabs with it, giving you the option of the "boxy", "focused" sound with the 10"er or a big fat sound using 12", 15", 4x10", etc....external speakers. The internal 10 with a 12" cab sounds great. Different speaker replacements can give you different voicings too. I've got a Weber Blue Pup in my amp and a Weber 12" alnico Blue Dog in an old Marshall cab. What a little Beast!

I haven't tried the retubing yet.

I love my 5:25. Perfect for an old fellow for just throwing in the truck to go pick with some friends. If I were going to gig with a band or needed some monster distortion, I'd get something else..... but I ain't and don't.

Have fun with your search.

The Expresses that I've played did not hum either. They did hiss though. It's louder than some amps though not loud enough to be a problem.

Nubbs said:
Hi all....my name is Nubbs and I just found this forum and have been enjoying the threads.

Yesterday I stopped by Discount Music, located here in central Florida to look at what they had new or used in amps under 35 pounds. Much to my surprise the sales guy steered me to a Mesa 5:25. It was a pleasant experience right up until he mentioned it was the last one and it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get another. The time for ordering nor the price of 1149.00 was not a deal breaker.

My personal experience with Mesa amps has been with a F-50 a little over a year ago, after is sold my 11 year old ProSonic and bought a Supersonic 112. I tried the F-50 for a few days, but it was just way to loud for my playing on stage or at home.

I listened to the 5:25 with the 10" and was impressed with the voicings. The only thing that was a bit bothersome was the hum that it gets at certain settings. I have been reading about using Dougs Tubes to retube the amp for a humless or near humless sound. But I question why would Mesa send an amp out with the huming issues? I have also been reading the threads where the speaker is also changed...again why would Mesa not make it sound right from the begining??

My Fender Supersonic is a great amp and if it was not for the send and receive circuit allowing me to lower the overall volume and then push the amp at the lower volume.....it would be someone else's pride and joy. The Fender is bone stock and for me that works.

Here is what my questions are....is the 5:50 that much better sounding than the 5:25.....will it absolutely take retubing to clean the hiss and hum out of each one of these. The reason to change amps is to shed weight. the Supersonic weighs a ton and I am darned tired of lugging to the stage. I went one step further to shed weight by buying a Taylor T5, so I only have to carry one guitar. The T5 does both electric and acoustic sounds and is light and comfortable with a wonderful sound.

So let me know your thoughts cause I am going to make up my mind over the next two weeks.

Thanks,

Nubbs :lol:

Nudds- I recommend you get either the 5:25 1x12 or the 5:50 - if you can afford the extra $$.
The 1x12" has a fuller tone with bigger bottom end. The 5:50 has 6L6 tubes so sounds different.
The 5:25 has more hiss than the 5:50 but the hiss on either is only noticeable when you crank the gain on the burn channel.
New tubes from Dougstubes.com will get rid of 50-60% of it and a good noise gate like an ISP decimator or MXR Smart Gate will cut it 98%.

The tone of all tube amps can theoretically be improved by changing tubes and/or speakers because tone is a subjective thing and some pople may prefer a different tone to the factory fitted stuff. I think my 5:50 sounds better with Dougs tubes and thru my closed cab with V30's but someone else may prefer the factory fitted gear.

My son has a 5:50 1x12 and while it can be very loud, it's also pretty good at "low" volume. He plays in his bedroom and won't become deaf from it :)

We like it a lot (moved up from a Roland Cube 30 so it's quite a dramatic change).

You can see 2 recordings we made with the 5:50 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxCLTEBqPSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7mIl--Gb1w&

Animeka said:
My son has a 5:50 1x12 and while it can be very loud, it's also pretty good at "low" volume. He plays in his bedroom and won't become deaf from it :)

We like it a lot (moved up from a Roland Cube 30 so it's quite a dramatic change).

Animeka - tell your son to keep up the good work! He sounds great!

the biggest difference in tone is the 5:25 is el34, and 5:50 is 6l6 tubes. I prefer a bit of a more traditional Marshall-esqe tone so I like the 5:25.

There is a big difference though in the 5:25 10" and 12" inch speaker versions. The 12" was far superior IMO. Sounded like a different amp altogether from the 10".

Don said:
The Expresses that I've played did not hum either. They did hiss though. It's louder than some amps though not loud enough to be a problem.
My friend has a 5/25 with the 10.....Great tone, but he does use an extension cab with V30's with it on stage.....Always an option.

VCuomo said:
Animeka said:

Animeka - tell your son to keep up the good work! He sounds great!

Up until two years ago I only played 6L6 amps. Since then I started playing EL84 amps and haven't looked back. I still have a custom LSS and 4/10 cabinet, although I am getting ready to sell them. I like the compactness and lesser weight of the 5:25 versus the LSS. My 5:25 has the 12" speaker. I wish the 5:25 had a boost function similar to the LSS, but I also like the contour function of the 5:25.

This probably doesn't answer your question about the 5:25 versus 5:50, but these are two very different amps, due to the difference in power tube amp sections.

TW

Back