Thinking about riding the Express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Cane

Reaction score
Ok, just heard of these. I'm looking for something smaller and lighter than my Mark IIB for small get togethers and maybe playing bass with my acoustic friends. So, can you wonderful forum members tell me what the weight is on a 112 5:25? Also, what is retail? Thanks in advance.

Cant find an actual specs page, but I'm guessing the 5.25 weighs about 40 pounds? Maybe?

Retail was $1100 when I bought my 1x10 version, the 1x12 might be going for $1200 to $1400?

If you check some of the other forums, someone some where posted a list sheet with MAP's on it.....

Yikes. If it weighs that much i may as well stick with the mark II. Thanks for the info.

Well, my Vox AD30 wieghs about 28-30lbs, and the Express is a little heavier. I dont know if it weighs 40 at the store. I should have mentioned I always load my stuff with heavy speakers, with big magnets. It felt pretty light when I had the speaker out of it, and the speakers usually weigh in about 8-10 lbs when I ship them. It is such a nice sounding amp, I wouldn't let an extra 10 pounds scare me away from it. It's heavier than other amps I've had, but not much, and the sound is worth it to me. You can always put big rubber casters on the bottom. I'd even use a dolly if I really had to have Mesa sound!! But 40lbs isn't really that much when it comes to big quality sound. Wait til you try moving a vintage Twin.....110 lbs! More with Weber Michigans in it..... I carried one of those up the stairs once........and ONLY once.....

While I use 10s for bass I really like 12s a lot better for guitar. And no, 40 pounds isn't that big a deal. But have one already that weighs about 35. I just like lighter when I can to throw in the trunk or run up and down stairs.

Yeah, I used to be the guy that owned the PA and the B3 and the piano and moved plenty of stuff up and down stairs all alone. And my new compact bass amp is 88 pounds. when I was 20 I wouldn't think twice but with stuff out there like a Roland cube it's hard to justify 40 lbs to play with the family at holidays. I was just looking for something cheap and light and this one ain't either so I may look at a blues junior or something similar.

Thanks for the info.

Old Cane said:
I was just looking for something cheap and light and this one ain't either so I may look at a blues junior or something similar.

Wish I knew what to tell ya....... I'm not sure the BJ will be much lighter, but it is definitely cheaper!

If you want variety and cheap and light with some hint of tube tone and loud all the way down to bedroom volumes, dont forget to test drive a Vox AD30 (10 inch, $260) or AD50 (12 inch, $360). Traynor YCV20WR is a good buy for around $500 if you shop around, better imo than a BJ...... be interesting to see what you end up liking. Enjoy the chase..... 8)

Thanks, I may check those out. I have a Princeton 650 and as far as solid state goes it sounds fine and would do what I need for just banging around. I just wanted something that needs tubes. What I'm looking for is something like a small boogie for half the money. Go figure. Master, mid and reverb and weighs 5 pounds. Not asking for much, am I?

After i saw what these express models cost I'd probably feel better if i went ahead and got a Lonestar Special. That's what I started looking at but of course cost and weight don't quite fit my profile. I just retubed my Mark and I'm liking it so much I may not get anything new at all but it always travels in a road case and I have to use external reverb. Oh, well. It's only money, right? Maybe I just need one of everything. That philosophy seems to work for my wife.

Even with it's 10" speaker an Express 5:25 is a much better sounding and vastly more versatile amp than a BJ. It's way better made, too.
It's also a lot more expensive.

Old Cane said:
Thanks, I may check those out. I have a Princeton 650 and as far as solid state goes it sounds fine and would do what I need for just banging around. I just wanted something that needs tubes. What I'm looking for is something like a small boogie for half the money. Go figure. Master, mid and reverb and weighs 5 pounds. Not asking for much, am I?

After i saw what these express models cost I'd probably feel better if i went ahead and got a Lonestar Special. That's what I started looking at but of course cost and weight don't quite fit my profile. I just retubed my Mark and I'm liking it so much I may not get anything new at all but it always travels in a road case and I have to use external reverb. Oh, well. It's only money, right? Maybe I just need one of everything. That philosophy seems to work for my wife.

Hey old Cane - you can't have it both ways mate.
If you want smaller, lighter & cheaper than a 5:25 in a tube amp you gotta drop lotsa Watts, tone quality and versatility cause nothing beats the 5:25. Check out the Orange Tiny Terror or Epi Valve Junior (5 to 15w and they sound ok)

Yeah, I know what you mean. If I was looking for main amp that would be the way I feel. I just want something to do stuff regular people do, you know, family get togethers, rehearsals you don't need, that sort of thing. I stopped playing for a living 10 years ago and got a day job. I found out some people play for what they call fun and don't even get paid. Still getting used to that.

Back