Doug's Tube replacement on 5:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this preamp tube replacement recommended by Doug's Tubes (see below)? Apparently this is supposed to reduce the infamous noise issues with the 5:25.

I have a set of NOS Mullard EL84s on the way for the power tube section.

V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7
V2 - High gain JJ ECC83S
V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V4 - Shuguang 12AX7C9
V5 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

That's exactly what I installed in my 5:50 on Doug's recommendation.
Maybe you got that info from me here. :mrgreen:
They did a good job on my 5:50. But it's a 6L6 amp.
Reduced amp hiss by over 50%.
Provided more gain.
made the amp smoother.
kept the same cleans.

let us know if they do the same thing on the 5:25

Just got the vintage mullard EL84s (early 70s) and took them for a spin in my 5:25. All I can say is wow. Much richer and darker tone than the stock El84s from MB. I'm going to order the preamp tubes now from Doug.

mesaluckystrike said:
Just got the vintage mullard EL84s (early 70s) and took them for a spin in my 5:25. All I can say is wow. Much richer and darker tone than the stock El84s from MB. I'm going to order the preamp tubes now from Doug.

nice one :D
please report back when you stick the preamp tubes in

Hey Guys, new member w/ 5:25/ 1/ 10 w/ ext cab. Anyway I went for the Dougs tube set. Got to give Doug credit, great service, very responsive, available phone & email quick shipping. Very satisfied with the tone I am getting since the retube feel the hiss is reduced as well, I guess I'm supposed to put IMHO or YMMV here.

mesaluckystrike said:
Has anyone tried this preamp tube replacement recommended by Doug's Tubes (see below)? Apparently this is supposed to reduce the infamous noise issues with the 5:25.

I have a set of NOS Mullard EL84s on the way for the power tube section.

V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7
V2 - High gain JJ ECC83S
V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V4 - Shuguang 12AX7C9
V5 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

I took a look at Doug's website. Which Mullards did you get?

Back