Retubing the 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skully

Reaction score
I recently slid some JJ 6L6GC power tubes in my Express, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm wondering about other people's experience with these tubes, the first thing I noticed, or precieved to notice was more reverb coming through the amp. It seems to be a bit cleaner with the JJ's in it. I've seen the recommended tubes listed at Dougstubes, wondering if this is the standard or is it just a matter of stepping up from Mesa factory tubes?

Thanks

Skully said:
I recently slid some JJ 6L6GC power tubes in my Express, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm wondering about other people's experience with these tubes, the first thing I noticed, or precieved to notice was more reverb coming through the amp. It seems to be a bit cleaner with the JJ's in it. I've seen the recommended tubes listed at Dougstubes, wondering if this is the standard or is it just a matter of stepping up from Mesa factory tubes?

Thanks

Hi Skully
I specifically asked Doug at Dougstubes to recommend me both preamp and poweramp tubes that would
1) cut amp noise
2) deliver higher gain
3) keep the same chimy cleans

I bought what he recommended and the 7 new tubes did everything he said they would plus improved tone quality by making the amp smoother. Only one of the tubes I got was a JJ. I'll never go back to Mesa tubes now plus Dougs were like 20% of the price of Mesa tubes.

Newysurfer said:
Skully said:

Thanks

Hi Skully
I specifically asked Doug at Dougstubes to recommend me both preamp and poweramp tubes that would
1) cut amp noise
2) deliver higher gain
3) keep the same chimy cleans

I bought what he recommended and the 7 new tubes did everything he said they would plus improved tone quality by making the amp smoother. Only one of the tubes I got was a JJ. I'll never go back to Mesa tubes now plus Dougs were like 20% of the price of Mesa tubes.

I believe I will go the same route with the preamp tubes from Doug's, it seems like everyone has liked what he's sent out.

Latest posts

Back