what do you think about adding a cab to my Expresse 5:25?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jérémy1

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm French, and I bought my first Mesa amp (a 5:25 Express) 6 months ago.
Really great stuff so far, never had such a great amp... but still I'd like to have advices.

When I'm playing with my band, I get my sound covered by the other guitarist's amp, wich have 2 speakers.
What do you think if I add a 2*12 cab, to get more volume (I do not mean power, since its limited by my amp)?
Did anyone try that? and with wich results ?

I found that there was no forum on the Mesa Boogie website, so I think you might the best place to get answer.

Thanks a lot,

And keep on Boogyimg,

Jérémy, from Montréal

Do it! The 5:25 becomes a little monster with an extension cab. Sounds different with different cabs too. I use mine with a 1X12 8 ohm, a 6X10(? I think) 8 ohm, and a 4X10 4 ohm. Sounds great with all of them but the 4 ohm is my favorite I think. Makes the clean channel sound real SNARLY.

As for making it keep up with other amps, I guess it depends on what you're competing with. I keep up with a 50 watt Marshall pretty good in a small room but if the Marshall were cranked..... I doubt it. But dang, if you're getting THAT loud, you shoulda bought a monster amp.

It will help though most definitely and will open up the sound of the 5:25. Can get some HUGE bottom end out of it. Makes the sound "wider" too. The 5:25 is very directional by itself...... you need to be right in front of it to get the blast.

In any event though, YES. Get a cab.

Jérémy said:
Hi guys, I'm French, and I bought my first Mesa amp (a 5:25 Express) 6 months ago.
Really great stuff so far, never had such a great amp... but still I'd like to have advices.

When I'm playing with my band, I get my sound covered by the other guitarist's amp, wich have 2 speakers.
What do you think if I add a 2*12 cab, to get more volume (I do not mean power, since its limited by my amp)?
Did anyone try that? and with wich results ?

I found that there was no forum on the Mesa Boogie website, so I think you might the best place to get answer.

Thanks a lot,

And keep on Boogyimg,

Jérémy, from Montréal

Hi Jeremy,
A cab will make your 5:25 sound better, thicker, fuller etc, but not louder.
It may also distribute your existing volume better and over a wider area - less directional etc.
But if more volume is your only desire a cab won't help.

What will help though is ultilising your exisiting volume efficiently by elevating the speaker cab (either the combo or a Cab) on a stand half a metre or so above the ground and tilting it back slightly. Don't know if you're doing that already :mrgreen:

You might increase the volume a bit if you get some very efficient speakers for your extension cab. Some speakers are louder than others. I think the 30 watt ceramic Weber Blue Pup I put in my 5:25 is louder than the stock speaker.

Back