Express 5:25 comparisons

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espresso

Reaction score
For those of you who have experience with other amps (Mesa or other), which would you say the Clean and Crunch of the 5:25 sounds closest to?

I had the 5 25 for a while and opted for the 5 50. The comparisons I drew from the 5:25 are the cleans surprisingly reminded me of Fender cleans.....The crunch sound to my ears was a little more akin to a Marshall......of course truthfully it sounds like a Mesa. It is such a versatile little amp. The one I had though was very noisy, never did try replacing any tubes.

Interesting, I guess you mean Blackface clean? I once played a Fender Blackface RI (can't remember which but it was a 4 10 combo) and felt that the Express maybe have been inspired by that era of Fender amps.

I do suppose blackface clean would be a good description. It is interesting that Mesa gets that good 'big bottle' clean sound from the EL84 power tube but they do in the 5:25. And yes I believe Leo Fender and those guys defined the benchmark of guitar amplification. I thought I read somewhere the first 'Boogie' amp was a modified Princeton reverb. Also the first Marshalls were designed off a Fender bassman amp as well.

I like the Mesa amps alot. The Express while not my most favorite is definitely the most versatile for my playing situation and the price point was acceptable to my budget.

I agree that the 5:50 was neck and neck with the Lonestar Classic, which was neck and neck with my Fender Pro Reverb. Absolutely fabulous clean!

Matt

Back