Empty forum!? Have to say after a year.., I love my Express!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best amp I've owned. I'm just experimenting with different preamp tubes to fine tune the sound a bit.

Hello all.

5:25 owner here. I've had a great time with my Express. It's a great little amp for what I do....mostly bedroom picking and living room jamming with a friend here and there. I'm sure it would do well at a club or small/medium gig with a mic on it. Lots of nice sounds.

Mine had two holes in the Black Shadow speaker when I got it. Replaced it with a Weber Blue Pup. Also had a bad power tube which started farting out about 2 weeks after I got it. (That's how I found the bad speaker.....thought the farting was the speaker.) The foot switch innerds are a bit loose but it has worked so far. Other than these minor problems, it's been fine.

It's kind of a finicky little beast. Seems to sound different on different days. But I kinda like that...as long as it sounds good. It's capable, like any amp, of some crappy sounds, but also of some really satisfying make-ya-wanna-pick-all-night sounds.

It becomes a little monster when hooked up with external cabs. I have a 1x12 cab that I stuck a Weber Blue Dog in......nice! Also a big old Yamaha cab with like 6 or 8 10" speakers. Lots of different sounds with different speaker combinations. I play with a buddy once a week who has a 4 ohm 4x10 Peavey that I run with the internal speaker.....gets a huge crunchy/clean sound on the clean channel that I particularly love.

Didn't mean to write a novel. Just introducing myself I guess and saying....I love my Express too. :)

I've had a fight with the noise thing too. Will post in the noise thread.

I've had mine a little over a year now, best amp I've ever had........not that I've had any boo-teek amps before, but this is way better than any mainstream profit margin amp you find in the middle of the road retailers. The only thing I've had that comes anywhere near it was a red knob Twin.

I run Tung-Sol tubes in mine. I have experimented with speakers, and liked the Weber alnico's Michigan and Blue Pup, but as much as I hate to admit it this amp seems to do better with the seemingly more efficient ceramic speakers. I have a Ramrod in it right now, and it is nice, but I have not yet found a 10 incher that pleases me like the Delta Demon. I have a 2x10 with a G10 Vintage + Tone Tubby in it, and that is a nice fit. But the best by far I've ever had in my possession is the 15 inch alnico Blue Dog. WOW!!

I'm heavily into the pedal chain thing right now, so I run the clean channel most of the time, with increasingly nice results.

While I'm logged in....

I've been off work the last two days. Hooked up my 5:25 in the living room (wife still working :) ) and played the heck out of it. Man, I tell you, that thing can ROCK. With the internal speaker and an 1x12 extension, it just sounds Huge when you hit those sweet spots. Beautiful.

I've been banging hard on that 10" Blue Pup (ceramic) for the last couple of months and the sound has changed... gotten more complex, deeper or something, if you know what I mean. With the Blue Dog, DANG! I'm hoping the Dog will open up more as time goes on. (Already sounds great.) I haven't really been hammering on it as much. The Dogs really need to be pushed hard for a while to get them going I think.

I may really have to try that 15" Dog. What some bottom end that thing must have!

Anyway, just lovin' on my Booger... that's what I call him.

I got lucky.....imo......

I found a used Yamaha SV15 PA cab at the local recycler for about $100 bucks. I gutted the old 15 incher and the horn/crossover out of it, and left the horn holes open as ports. Then I put the 15 inch alnico Blue Dog in there.

You can't buy a new cab any better for any where near $100 bucks, and you certainly cant build one yourself for $100 bucks.....at least, I cant. I've tried.....

Man, that thing can handle any low end my amp throws out, while at the same time giving me singing leads and commanding rhythms. Makes the tone knobs and the pedal knobs much more useable. The cab is wedge shape so it is kinda directional, but the combination of the Boogie with that speaker just about controls the stage at any small gig. And it isn't back breaking heavy. I've even secretly entertained fantasies about a 2x15 or a 4x15! Oh......My......GAWD! :twisted:

Back