Mark IV lead channel, EQ, reverb, sounds BAD?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher65

Reaction score
Can anybody else test this for me on your own Mark IV?

Settings:
Lead channel. Drives set high, 7 or so. Presence around 9. EQ on, set to a fairly deep V curve. (Metallica Hetfield Crunchberries curve) Reverb on, and maxed.

Sounds...great. When the reverb is OFF. Turn the reverb on and I get twangy jangly guitar sounds over and above that thick crunchy metal tone. That' sounds BAD. It almost sounds like the reverb is connected to a different guitar or at least isn't going through the EQ.

The problem isn't really noticeable in the R1 or R2 channels.

I know, it's not a setting most people would use anyway. I still want to know if it's just my amp or if it's like that in other Mark IVs.

I think maxed out reverb based from a tube driven/recovered circuit on any amp will tend toward sounding 'bad' or at least not optimal.

The manul for the Mark IV on page 10 states:
https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User%20Manuals/Mark%204.pdf

REVERB is a simple depth control which activates the rich all-tube, three-spring analog circuitry. Even though many players have
more modern digital reverbs and delays, there is still something quite pleasant about this natural-sounding,
traditional Reverb system that we think you’ll enjoy. The REVERB effect may seem more intense in some
modes (such as RHYTHM 1) than in other modes, because each mode has a slightly different EQ character-
istic and attack dynamic. This represents normal REVERB operation and is no cause for concern.

The reverb on the Mark IV isn't the greatest to begin with. What is useable is really only for R1. With R2 and Lead you want to keep the reverb way down, like barely there, especially if going full bore with the lead channel. Get your reverb from elsewhere, or even better a nice, soaring delay. In general reverb is best when you can't notice it until you turn it off; that's when it's doing its job.

Latest posts

Back