headphones use question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feedbacker

Reaction score
Sorry of this is blindingly obvious to people here, but I'm sniffing around buying my first MesaBoogie and have only used amps with pre-fitted headphone sockets.
I know later combos from Mesa often have headphone outputs and/or speaker emulation features, but on older models without, eg the Mark series, is there a facility to play via headphones, with speaker disabled (eg for home use late at night!)
Do I need a special headphone gizmo box? Does this plug in to a line-out jack, and could I safely disconnect the speaker at the back? Or will that be A Bad Idea?
Thanks for any info...

I own a Mark IV. I've never tried to use a headphone in the recording line out. However I can tell you that the head DOES require a speaker load.
Even if you are doing direct/silent recording out.

Hope this helps.

swbo101 said:
I own a Mark IV. I've never tried to use a headphone in the recording line out. However I can tell you that the head DOES require a speaker load.
Even if you are doing direct/silent recording out.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks.
I've seen that the front panel master 'output level' knob has a pull-out function for 'silent recording'. The manual explains this mutes the speaker (combo version) but the amp still needs a load, and you can use a soak resistor (8 ohms) - which seems to be a slight oversight, I thought they might have factored this in internally with the circuit design, if they were offering the mute option anyway...

Back