What's your best combination preamp + poweramp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decker

Reaction score
Hi,

Some of you have the chance to have multiple Mesa amps and have tried to plug the preamp of one amp into the poweramp section of another one.

What are your best results and how do you plug them (do you use the send of the FX loop or the Slave out) ?

Thanks.

IMHO this is another reason to own multiple Mesas models with differing power sections. :lol: In my arrangement its Fx sends to the Fx returns, however others use the slave out with good results.

My two favs

IIC+ preamp --> Stiletto or Mark V:90 power section
LSS --> Mark V:90 power section

The versatility of the V:90 power section design really shines when you start playing around with different preamps.

Thanks for your answer rarebitusa.

Someone on this forum also said that he had good results pluging the preamp of the JP2C in the power section of the Mark V.

Quad preamp into a 50/50 stereo power amp is about as good as I've gotten.

I liked the studio preamp into a Mark IIB, but the Quad preamp and 50/50 power amp is the best I have ever heard. I also run a BBE 822A in-between them.

I also owned a Mark IV, C+, and C++ all at the same time. They were used sparingly and were never as good sounding as the quad set-up so I sold them off without regret.

hello
good question , i seach any information about cofigurations around mark 2 with mark 4 ....
does any people have a schematics or draws about mark 2 to mak4 , mark4 to mark 2 ....

thx for your help

dom

I have used the effects send from my Express 5:25+ to the power amp in of my MKIIA, kept the character of the Express surprisingly well.

One of the best clean sounds was a non-Boogie combo. Took the FX send of my Sarno Revelation preamp to the MKIIA power amp in. Amazing how much volume and still very clean. The FX out is like the preamp junction of a Fender amp, the level matches the MKIIA power amp in. Another way to solve the not quite FX loop of a MKIIA. An SMS Classic preamp would work the same way though you loose the Boogie lead channel.

Back