Boogie MkIIA FX loop question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mine is a '80 and the FX loop with pedals sounds OK but robs a lot of volume, probably an impedance mismatch.
What is your experience with rack mounted delays/FX's that have a much more flexible impedance for input and output?

Gratuitous pic of the amp re-housed in a head cab:

9QVsh3H.jpg

Nobody?

With a Korg SDD-1000 in the loop, the send sends too much juice and the return is too weak. Noise level is great though…

Anybody tried the G-Lab Amp Loop Adapter ALA-1, or a C-Lator?

Great looking rig. I'm guessing it's a passive loop and will need some sort of amplification/buffering factor added into the mix. You could try a clean booster of some sort. I did some searching and found these:
https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=58524
https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=67621

Thank you, in fact I just ordered a C-Lator kit.
I was wondering if rack units with selectable & separate output and input impedances work.

The Mark IIA does not have a true effects loop. That did not come about until the Mark IIB.

Joey1970 said:
The Mark IIA does not have a true effects loop. That did not come about until the Mark IIB.
True, but MkIIA owners know that I am talking about the Preamp Out under the chassis and Power Amp In on the back.

I have both the G-Lab bix and a C-Lator. The G-Lab is more set and leave alone due to using trim pots. The C-Lator is highly interactive. I'm not sure mine is right as there seems to be some bleed through. Both help adjust the levels for a loop

I also have an ADA TFX 4 that works well. Turn down the input level as needed, seems to have plenty of gain to drive the power amp in.

b00g13mk2B said:
I'm not sure mine is right as there seems to be some bleed through.

You mean there is signal passing even with all the knobs at zero?

Mine works great, and the fact that real knobs are in front of the unit means I can use it with different amps requiring different FX in/out levels than the MkIIA.
The C-Lator also works great on a Single Rectifier Solo 50, it has a buffered loop but some fx's do not work well with it (Lexicon MPX-100 for example).

Laurent Brondel said:
b00g13mk2B said:
I'm not sure mine is right as there seems to be some bleed through.

You mean there is signal passing even with all the knobs at zero?

Mine works great, and the fact that real knobs are in front of the unit means I can use it with different amps requiring different FX in/out levels than the MkIIA.
The C-Lator also works great on a Single Rectifier Solo 50, it has a buffered loop but some fx's do not work well with it (Lexicon MPX-100 for example).

If I turn volumes down on my C-lator, there is still some signal coming through. Don’t recall those settings. I bought it 2nd hand but looks factory built. Contacted Nic once, didn’t get an answer. Also went through the wiring and did not see anything obvious. My MKIIA is on the way back from Mike B (sent it for general maintenence only) nothing found other than rebuild some pots.

I will recheck when it gets back. I really wanted the C-lator to work well. I can use a power attenuator to the speaker and just let the “loop” be hot.

Some years ago, I have built a MKIIA-Lator to make the preamp out / amp in usable as an FX loop at low "stompbox" level (-10dBm) :

iqHxKb-MKIIA-LATOR-in-out-27-04-2016.jpg

eqHxKb-MKIIA-LATOR-Santana-Delay.jpg

But it requires a rewiring of the PO / AI jacks in the amp itself...

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back