Questions about the utility of a fan in a MarkIII and SOB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings, first post here!

I recently acquired a '85 Simul Class SOB head and '89 Simul Class Mark III combo.
I removed fans as the PT and OT on both feel warm but not terribly hot to the touch after hours of use.
What are your thoughts? The fans noise floor is low, but still annoying.

Also I run 4x 6L6's in both (JAN Sylvania 5881's on the Mark III and "new" Svetlana's 6L6GC's on the SOB), Mesa recommends EL34's in the outer sockets for better reliability (I already burned a Svetlana on the SOB, thankfully the fuse did its job), but I seem to prefer the tone with all 6L6's, in Simul Class mode.
What's your experience?

Fantastic cleans on both amps, some the best I've heard and felt, and I have vintage Fenders and Marshalls.

Consider a quieter fan. The fan in my MkV:25 combo is very quiet.

Thanks, I guess my question is: is the fan necessary? My BFDR's run much hotter than the Boogies, and they have no fans!

I put an inline switch on mine for silencing the fan when recording.

It can get a really hot chassis on a long gig in a warm venue. You can’t hear the fan in a stage situation, but I’ve considered updating the 30 odd year old original to a modern quieter one.

Latest posts

Back