Boogie SOB questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markperlson

Reaction score
Hi all -

I have an all original SOB, probably from '85 given the serial number. I purchased it in the early 90s (for $400 I remember) and it's been sitting mostly unused in the original cover since '94. It's 60w with reverb and no EQ. Celeston Black Shadow speaker. I cleaned it up and it's in almost mint condition.

I've started playing more and want to use it in my Dead cover band. With a Weber California speaker, it gets the tone I'm looking for. I have a few questions for you all...

1. I just made myself some 1x12 Hard Trucker inspired speaker cabinets, and I was thinking of making a head shell for this to match. Does anyone have schematics/measurements? I think it will fit in the same shell as a IIc or similar. I have a line on one to buy, if I want to save the trouble, but might as well make it to match my cabinets.

2. It sounds good, no noises outside a touchy input jack (which got better with Deoxit). Should I replace the caps proactively or just start using it?

3. I'm noticing a slight gain decrease when I turn up the reverb. Could the tube be going bad?

4. Any idea of the weight of this as a shell - I assume it's about the same as other 80s 60w amps. If anyone knows.

5. The finish on the cabinet has always been a mystery to me. It doesn't have tolex - it's a textured back paint. Very tough, but not so beautiful. Was that common?? Would that have any value if I put it in a head?

If I decide to re-cap, I'll ask more questions about mods...

Update - the reverb issue is the tube. I played with it some more and it was doing some crazy things, sounds like bad tube.

Another update - I found the original manual. Mostly a repair manual with suggested setting. Let me know if this is something people want to see.

If its been sitting since 94 unused have the power filters changed before you have serious problems.At this point its not "proactive",that ship sailed 10 yrs ago.

Latest posts

Back