Learning Curve - Repairing a 22+ Caliber Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leegold

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 22 Caliber w/EQ. Right off the bat let me say this is the best sounding most versatile combo amp I've ever heard. When cranked IMO it's unrivaled, magic happens.

But servicing this thing like recapping and fixing some burnt out components was something I was totally unprepared for. I've done some pro repair of amps, and of course lots of fixing Fender Silver faces. But nothing like this amp. The power and pre-amp tubes are on the PCB, the PCB outboard connections are all soldered wire connections - no ribbon connectors, you better have a good soldering station.

I made every mistake possible, like, I thought why not use 30 at 500v electrolytics - the schematic calls for 30 at only 450, but why not go for the beefier cap, and as I finished up I realized the cap's diameter is too much and PCB would not snap back into place - I never realized that they cleverly fit so many passive components into a space like this. It's got active EQ and spring reverb all designed into the space.

Brutal learning curve...no rushing allowed. So I ended up getting a 2nd working used 22 Cal so I could be totally sure I re-soldering the wires of the 1st correct. The 2nd one sounds awesome too.

IMHO to sum up, I'd question the road-worthiness and serviceability of this model. On the other hand it was made with the studio/recording in mind AFAIK. These 30 year old amps sound awesome!

These were a budget model and it shows, but they were still pretty well made amps. I've serviced a couple with no issues, but I stuck to the same value parts. When I work on amps that need to have several wires removed to access the bottom of the PCB, I take lot's of pics and mark the wires and PCB with different color paint markers for each connection.

These are fun amps and super portable- a great grab and go option.

Back