Subway Rocket (NR) vs DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

premiumplus

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster here. Around 1998 I bought a new DC-3 and never could really bond with it. I liked the clean channel but I couldn't ever get the OD channel to work for me in a channel switching sense. I spent many hours working with it and finally traded it for a nice guitar and cash.
I had tried out a Subway Blues at the same time but I went with the DC-3 for the channel switching. I always regretted that, and I found a nice Subway Rocket for a good price, so I went for it. It should be here in a couple of weeks. I hope the clean channel of the Rocket is as good as the DC-3.

I'm a blues/classic rock/jazz player and don't need the Recto metal sound. I want a sweeter overdrive and from the clips I've seen it looks like the Subway Rocket will deliver. The heaviest I'll ever get will be like old Blue Oyster Cult or Captain Beyond tones...and I need to be able to dial it back for my Praise Band as well. I also play in an old school Big Band, and we do everything from Funk to Chicago to Sinatra. I've been using either a Dr.Z Z-Lux, a Maz 18NR or a Z-Wreck. Most of our gigs are for ~500 to 750 people.

Do any of you have experience with both of these amps? I'd appreciate feedback about the Rocket's overdrive channel vs the DC-3. For my needs the DC-3 was too hot; I like a fat sweet tone that has clarity to the harmonics, and I play a custom shop Les Paul Custom or a custom shop Strat. I've got boxes of overdrive/distortion pedals but I'd like to get what I need just from the amp.

Latest posts

Back