MKIIC+ ++ mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henz

Staff member
Reaction score
Howdy, Anyone know what one can do to eliminate the pops that come along w/ these great mods (The ole "Fire Breathing Dragon". All credit goes to Boogiebabies , as I was told and to JB32 for a great schematic of the C+.) using a poor man's switch? Thanx!

Need to add an LDR. Mesa moved from the Mk IIB to the MkIIC by putting in LDRs for channel switching to eliminate the pops that happen with channel switching.

Get a VTL5C1 and wire it in. If you want it on permanently I'm not sure on the exact wiring, but if you hijacked the power off another LDR for the lead channel then the Fire Breathing Dragon mod with Middle pot pulled (which is how I think you've wired it up) would only occur when in Lead Mode for extra Boost. In Rhythm it would be unaffected and do nothing. Clean cleans, extra lead! If that's what you want then go for it! If not, then you'd have to think about how to hook the LDR power up but it shouldn't be too hard.

Sorry for the delay I don't get a chance to come on here much these days

Nice to hear from you. I hope all is well. No, I used a standard mono speaker jack to make it foot switchable. Thanx for the info. I wouldn't know how to install the LDR. I replaced them in my 2:90 but that was for the half drive mode. Which didnt help with the pops. Anyway, i'm not sure what to do at this time. Its been groovy without the mod activated. I started with a 2.2 uf T110. I think that I already asked you but do i need to put the 100k in? or is that just for 10 to 15uf's? Or , even w/ the 2.2uf in, will it thicken up the gain? Thanx for your time, Jim

No idea I'm just a repair monkey! I can figure out how to fix things or implement circuitry but understanding the exact difference certain values of components will make or design an amp... sorry! One day maybe :)

I am on the understanding that putting the 100K in is indeed optional, BUT it does have a gain increase when that T110 is activated if you put in the 100K. With regard to the values - 2.2uF, 10uF, 15uF etc - all will work! I assume they will all have a different range of what frequencies are boosted but any more info apart from that I can't help! I like 15uF or 22uF because that's what all the other cathode bypass caps have in the preamp.

Back