Les Paul -> Mesa Boogie MKIII -> Cabclone -> Focusrite

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klauscanth

Reaction score
Hello all,

been experimenting silent recording with MKIII and Cabclone, in particular trying to get a CLEAN sound. I do NOT connect the Speaker Thru.

With single coils the sound is decent and can live with it. The sound is ok as long as the Vol 1 on MKIII is not past 5 and the Cabclone input setting is a notch above the minimum setting.

But if I use a Les Paul there is simply no sweet spot - even the lowest input settings on Cabclone as well as Focusrite recording preamp produce a slightly distorted sound.

The YouTube videos I have seen are million miles from the truth and I have a sneaking suspicion they are a mix of Cabclone and mic'd cabinet.

Anyone else ran into this, please? Any ideas how to deal with this?

with best regards, Klaus

Did more experimenting and this is what I found:

In the case of Les Paul or any guitar with higher power pick-ups the volume of the amp (Vol 1) has to be REALLY low, about 2-3 max. Also, the DI level of Cabclone has to be just a notch above the minimum setting. Then, the pre-amp before DAW can be in fairly noonish settings.

I have only tried so-far with 16 W setting in Simul-Class - will test the 60 W setting and report back.

BR, Klaus

Ok, I think I got it now:

- The key is putting a clean boost before input and keeping the Vol 1 to 2-3.

I used Boss LS-2 with 3-4 dB of gain. That rounds up the sound very nicely and does not distort the signal at the DAW.

BR, Klaus

Latest posts

Back