Putting together a Mark III Guide

Pre Recto days. Boogie modified Fenders, Mark I-IV, Dual Calibers, etc

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

jrb32
Mark III

Putting together a Mark III Guide

Post by jrb32 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:23 am

Hello! So a lot of stuff has been posted on here about the Mark IIC+ and there is the excellent guide for dummies, however there is not too much info on the Mark III.

I really want to get a guide up but I'm missing some info on component values used in the different stripe values. I have most of the info I need, schematics ready to go and board layouts for these components but ideally some board photos or gut shots would be great of any of the following:

Black Dot/Stripe
Purple Stripe
Red Stripe
Blue Stripe
Green Stripe

The 100% concrete info I have is from my Early 86 where there was a transition period between the Black and Purples using the CP1E board. I'd like to do one for all the Mark IIIs and get a full guide up and running along with general maintenance info. Even better if you don't mind going through your amp using my board view and schematic as a guide and checking the component values that'd be amazing!

I should also be putting up a III+/++ mod guide for each stripe if I can get the info needed for each. HOWEVER, please note the IIIs are great amps and shouldn't be overlooked as being massively inferior to the IIC+. Originally they were designed to be a IIC+ with switchable ++ (the R2 channel) but they went beyond that into new territory with them. Whether this was good or bad is for debate but it happened - deal with it. The other big change is the IIIs use a simplified single PCB board instead of the many individual PCBs used in the IIC+. In developing this amp into a single PCB, Mesa missed a few components though compared to the IIC+. The early IIIs are identical to the official III schematic which was based off the official IIC+ schematic, which is incorrect in a lot of places.

Any info you could contribute would be great! Please don't post full serial numbers but thing like 178XX are cool along with the stripe and amp dates (the bit in sharpie on the chassis) would be amazing!

Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by jrb32 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Re: Putting together a Mark III Guide

Post by stephen sawall » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:36 am

I had a Mark III red strip I bought new about 1987. It was one of the best amps I have owned. Really looking forward to seeing all of this.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Agustín Collia
Mark II

Post by Agustín Collia » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Really looking forward to seeing this finished! I've been following all your posts since you first started posting here, you've done a remarkable job! I've got a 1993 Blue Stripe (which actually hasn't got a stripe on it, I just know it's a Blue Stripe because it's a 100/60 model, and all Green Stripes were Simul Class). It's factory wired to 230v, which adds to its' awkwardness. I's love to post the gut shots here, but I don't know how to post pictures!

lions
Mark II

Post by lions » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:15 pm

IIRC There were a few Greens wired 100/60w.

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Agustín Collia wrote: Really looking forward to seeing this finished! I've been following all your posts since you first started posting here, you've done a remarkable job! I've got a 1993 Blue Stripe (which actually hasn't got a stripe on it, I just know it's a Blue Stripe because it's a 100/60 model, and all Green Stripes were Simul Class). It's factory wired to 230v, which adds to its' awkwardness. I's love to post the gut shots here, but I don't know how to post pictures!
Cheers! A lot to do still but I'm getting there. For gut shots https://imgbb.com/ is pretty good. If not PM me and I'll give you my email address

Any help would be great thanks!!

Jon

Fleflo
Bottle Rocket

Post by Fleflo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:36 am

This is just great!
I´m looking forward to see this. :P
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Mesa/Boogie Triaxis
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Mesa/Boogie Quad
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Mesa/boogie Mark III Green stripe

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 am

OK may as well start from the top! Any errors please let me know.

BLACK STRIPE/DOT CP1D LAYOUT AND SCHEMATIC:

SCHEMATIC: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yG8gK ... Cvo5cu0CK2
BOARD VIEW: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1boo0U ... 1mIyigNuog
TINYCAD FILE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ATlQr ... eAVviBnAU4

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:52 am

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:53 pm

I need some photos of a Purple Stripe though (I have one grainy rubbish shot so far...), a Red Stripe (mainly the power section and the orange drop and ceramic capacitor values) and a blue stripe (again the power section and the orange drop and ceramic capacitor values). Everything else I've pretty much got concrete info on and the Green I have a complete schematic of thanks to lions letting me upgrade his! Any photos of info you have give me a shout!

Interestingly from the values for a Purple Stripe I've been told, the Purple Stripe is actually really close to a IIC+ and actually has essentially the same lead section as a Red Stripe. It's much much closer to the IIC+ than the Black Stripes which is curious as it gets a reputation for being a mellow and calm amp...
Last edited by jrb32 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovetoboogie
Mark II

Post by lovetoboogie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:43 pm

I admire your work...

I have many Mark III's reaching the bench. Here is a stock Red Stripe Simul (sharpied 4/87) if you need any additional photos , etc...lemme know while I have it open. Came in for a broken EQ assign switch and while I had it open the B+ caps and low voltage rail current resistor got replaced....otherwise it's amazing how this thing has held up.

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:05 am

Amazing thanks!! Can I check the board is a CP1F (should say near the lower bottom right 30uF filter cap). Thanks!

lovetoboogie
Mark II

Post by lovetoboogie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:01 pm

It's CP1G ©1984

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:11 pm

It's CP1G ©1984
Ooo curious. That means they stuck with the CP1G board from the Red Stripe onwards to the Green Stripe.

Also that Red Stripe was wired by Kaydee - that's one lucky amp owner! The neatest wirer out there of the IIC+/III era

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:37 am

Last edited by jrb32 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:43 am

Last edited by jrb32 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.