MESA Mark IV getting Mark IIC+ sounds.

Pre Recto days. Boogie modified Fenders, Mark I-IV, Dual Calibers, etc

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

stephen sawall
Single Recto

MESA Mark IV getting Mark IIC+ sounds.

Post by stephen sawall » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Any other advice on this topic beyond my question more than welcome...

Usually I prefer the bass heavy / slower attack voice of the IV over the IIC+.

Lately I'm trying to get my IV Lead channel close to a IIC+ sound.

Switches on the back are set to -

TRIODE
SIMUL-CLASS
HARMONICS

Front is set ...

PRESENCE - Pull
LEAD DRIVE - Pull

My question should I pull or not the LEAD GAIN / PULL FAT to get closest to the IIC+ sound ???
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

jrb32
Mark III

Re: MESA Mark IV getting Mark IIC+ sounds.

Post by jrb32 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:39 am

My question should I pull or not the LEAD GAIN / PULL FAT to get closest to the IIC+ sound ???
From the schematics Lead Fat does the same as 'Treble Shift' on the IIC+, so if you want the Treble Shift sound from a IIC+ then go for that (classic metal sound, most people pull Treble Shift and Lead Bright on the IIC+ for the lead channel).

So to get the closest to this kind of sound (assume that's what you're after?) then you want Lead Fat on and Lead Bright. Experiment with Harmonics On/Off (ideally you'd actually want it off) and the Presence level on the pot. On a IIC+ you'd stick presence around 5 and then crank it up for ridiculous OTT metal sound.

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:46 am

So: Lead Gain 7-8, Treble 8, Bass 0-2, Middle 0-5, Lead Drive 6-7. Lead Fat on. Lead Bright on. Triode on. EQ scooped V. Presence pulled and around 5. Then go from there - I don't have a Mark IV with me to check this side but side with my IIC+ but going from the schematics that should get you roughly in the same ball park.

Harmonics off, Simul on if required. Experiment from there

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Post by stephen sawall » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Thank you very much. Excellent information. My setting are close to that. I posted this several places on the internet and this is by far the best reply.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

jrb32
Mark III

Post by jrb32 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:25 am

No problem glad I could help!

Silverwulf
Donating Member

Post by Silverwulf » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:43 pm

stephen sawall wrote:Any other advice on this topic beyond my question more than welcome...

Usually I prefer the bass heavy / slower attack voice of the IV over the IIC+.

Lately I'm trying to get my IV Lead channel close to a IIC+ sound.

Switches on the back are set to -

TRIODE
SIMUL-CLASS
HARMONICS

Front is set ...

PRESENCE - Pull
LEAD DRIVE - Pull

You're spot on to what you need to do. Set it as above, pull all switches, and you're set.
Boogie user of 20+ years, previous owner of 150+ Rectos, author of the previous "2 Channel Recto User Guide" and current "3 Channel Recto User Guide" (if I ever stop being lazy and finish it)...

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Post by stephen sawall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:48 am

It can ballpark the sound....So much versatility in the IV.