Power Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike67

Reaction score
My Mark II has 6l6's that say "425". I've had them for over a year now and think I should maybe pick up some new ones. Do I have to get the exacty same kind? What are my options here?

Thanks

There are many different 6L6's you can use...I have bought tubes from EuroTubes.com, DougsTubes.com and Lord Valve. All will supply you with tubes that are chosen and graded for use in you Mesa.

You'll also save a few bucks as compared to the Mesa-branded tubes.

5881 STR-425
Russia - Sovtek - Russian military grade 6L6 that was designed with an emphasis on rugged durability and consistency, capable of handling high voltage requirements - Produces a dark, mid-rangey tone with tapered highs that lends itself to styles of jazz, fusion and some blues - Any style where tapered highs and a dark round tone are needed - If you find your amp to be too bright or harsh with standard 6L6's, the 5881 may be your passion.

If you like the way your amp sounds, stick with the same tubes and order some Sovtec 5881s. I believe www.thetubestore.com sells them.

A buddy of mine happened to have a spare set of Boogie 6l6s. I have a Mark II and only use it in 60w. My understanding is I can replace the two outside tubes (since I don't use the 100w mode and the inner tubes aren't used in 60w) without biasing for anything. Is that ok to do? I won't wreck the amp or anything will I?

Mike

Mike67 said:
A buddy of mine happened to have a spare set of Boogie 6l6s. I have a Mark II and only use it in 60w. My understanding is I can replace the two outside tubes (since I don't use the 100w mode and the inner tubes aren't used in 60w) without biasing for anything. Is that ok to do? I won't wreck the amp or anything will I?

Mike

Yes, that is OK :D

Back