new member, question on how to clean EQ sliders and pots

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonzoFonts

Reaction score
First time Boogie owner. :mrgreen:

Last weekend I bought a DC-3 combo for a good price but it does need a little work... it needs a new handle, chassis straps, and eventually tubes (I was told the current ones still have some life left).

In addition to the above, a couple of the sliders are scratchy as is the master volume pot on the lead channel.

I bought Deoxit D5 but my friend says that is not what I want to use.

My friend said that for the EQ sliders, I should use Deoxit F5 since it is specifically made for sliders. From what I have read on line, it makes sense to use Deoxit F5 for the EQ sliders.

What I am totally confused on is my friend said I can also use Deoxit F5 for the master volume pot. His reasoning is that the rotary pots, in this case the master volume pot, in Boogies are "carbon comp" and Deoxit D5 is not made for "carbon comp" pots. He also said that Deoxit D5 could degrade the plastics in pots - the shaft for the master volume pot is plastic and there could be more plastic within the pot itself.

From searching on line, some people say its OK to use Deoxit D5 on "carbon comp" pots while others say it is not OK.

Can anyone here provide info?

Thanks in advance.

GonzoFonts

Definitely use F5 for the EQ sliders.

D5 can be used for carbon pots, and is also great for cleaning any metal contacts in the amp (metal switches, jacks input/outputs etc.) but generally if a carbon pot is failing it needs to be replaced - cleaning is a temporary measure.

Scratchy pots can also indicate a cap issue in some cases so something to be aware of if a clean/replacement pot makes no change.

I'd get a replacement lead master pot from boogie. DON'T get third party ones - I made that mistake on my DC5. Boogie ones are decent quality and third party ones tend to fail. Easy to fit if you're OK with a soldering iron. Maybe get two just in case... ;)

Hope that helps!

Just found this regarding the difference between the two:

In essence, D5 removes oxidation/tarnish on metal surfaces, improves conductivity, preserves and lubricates, as well as helping reduce radio frequency interference, while F5 won't deal with oxidation/tarnish, but instead lubricates faders, switches and pots with sliding surfaces and reduces future wear/abrasion.

I used DeoxIt Fader Lube spray in my '86 Studio Series combo to wash away the dusty gunk that was in the sliders then used DeoxIt Fader Grease to get the feel back. They feel great! I can even feel the detent in the middle.

I cleaned a slider on another amp with D5 once and it was horrible- it felt very dry and rough. I replaced the slider. I didn't know about the grease at the time. That might've saved it.

Boogiebabies said:
DO NOT CLEAN THE SLIDERS !!! The grease used in the slider will wash out and never feel right again and it is a major pain to swap 5 sliders.

Leave them alone.

Follow BB's advice and you wont go wrong.
Ignore his advice and you'll suffer the consequences.
Seriously do what he says, "Leave them alone."

Back