Mark 3 vs studio preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotosprince

Reaction score
Has anyone AB ed their mark 3s / studio preamps? I used to have the quad which I sold cause at that time I didn't need s preamp. I remember both channels were not as agressive sounding as my blue stripe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/16938025205/in/dateposted-public/

Blue & no stripe verses the studio pre-amp/295, the studio pre won for meanest sounding and aggressiveness hands down, no contest. That whole amp and cabinet weighed too much!

Markedman said:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/16938025205/in/dateposted-public/

Blue & no stripe verses the studio pre-amp/295, the studio pre won for meanest sounding and aggressiveness hands down, no contest. That whole amp and cabinet weighed too much!
Hmm that's strange... Some other folks had the opposite results.. They said that the studio preamp is not as agressive and raw as the mark 3. It's better suited for leads and it has a smoother and round tone

A lot has to do with power amp, guitar, tubes and speakers. Also, how you ran the thing. I used the effects send for an output, but if I used the standard outputs, gain took on a whole new level, as in way more than human. There is unlimited gain if you turn the knobs up all the way, so much gain I doubt anyone would want that much, so,.... I'm not sure why some think gain would be a problem. As far as nasty tone goes, I offer anyone the opportunity to try any of my gear at an open mic to compare for themselves, lots of Marshall owner's with their tails between their legs after playing a Boogie.
So,.... believe what you want.

Markedman said:
A lot has to do with power amp, guitar, tubes and speakers. Also, how you ran the thing. I used the effects send for an output, but if I used the standard outputs, gain took on a whole new level, as in way more than human. There is unlimited gain if you turn the knobs up all the way, so much gain I doubt anyone would want that much, so,.... I'm not sure why some think gain would be a problem. As far as nasty tone goes, I offer anyone the opportunity to try any of my gear at an open mic to compare for themselves, lots of Marshall owner's with their tails between their legs after playing a Boogie.
So,.... believe what you want.
I'll have the chance to test a studio preamp through my mark 3 in a couple of days...

Back