Speaker recommendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbagg

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Looking for speaker recommendations for my Mark IV. I have the C90, and I’ve always liked it, but it looks like it’s on the way out. Any recommendations? I don’t like the V30, too bright/harsh for me. In fact, something much like a c90 would be great, but even a smoother less fizz top end. Any suggestions would be great!

I have been wondering about eminence Tex heat, and The Tonker, WGS ET90, an old Altec, EV force...

I tend to like darker tones.

I swapped the C90 in my MK V with an Eminence Texas Heat. From what you described, I think you would probably really like it. It added sweetness, for lack of a better word, to the voice of the MK V. It’s a darker speaker but still has plenty of high end and a very pleasing, singing midrange. It lacks the upper end sizzle of the C90. I love the Mark IV mode on the V.

Nice thing also is it drops 2 lbs over the C90, and it’s rated for 150 Watts. I think the cab dimensions of the IV and V are similar, so the tonal fingerprint of the cab would be similar.

I'd love to try a Texas Heat. I have a Black Shadow in my MKIII Combo and I run an Eminence Red White and Blues in a 1x12 extension cab or a 2x12 with Celestion 65 Watt Creambacks.

I think the Eminence is a little smoother across the range but the 2x12 just sounds so full and moves a lot of air too...

I have been using the wgs veteran 30 with my mark 3. I dont know why but it does sound fuller than my previous evml 12. Not the typical v30 harsh sounding at all.

If you can get one the Eminence MOD 12 is a great speaker for the small combo cab. If you want something lighter weight, Jensen Neo Tornado, the 100 watt version.

Cheers Stephan

Latest posts

Back