The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:08 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I have a MK II need some help with this orange wire. It is attached to a resistor on the left side of the 2 black caps. It must of came off I don't know where it goes the amps makes a humming noise.http://www.globalarray.net/user/designrotortechnology/wire.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:45 pm 
Mark II

That is most likely the screen voltage supply for the power section. Trace back from your power tube sockets(pin 4) and you should see some large 470 ohm 2W Resistors. They all join together on one rail on the power amp board...which on old Mark series amps will have "448v" notated nearby...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:56 pm 
Bottle Rocket

lovetoboogie wrote:
That is most likely the screen voltage supply for the power section. Trace back from your power tube sockets(pin 4) and you should see some large 470 ohm 2W Resistors. They all join together on one rail on the power amp board...which on old Mark series amps will have "448v" notated nearby...

There are 2 orange wires. 1 of the orange is from the 500V caps and it's connected to the B terminal 448v.

The orange wire I show in the photo is from the resistor I've mentioned.

Are they both connect to the same rail?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm 
Mark II

Ah, yes...I see you indicted that. No, this wire looks to be part of a mod when those bias and filter caps were replaced. Those resistors that you noted are part of the rectified negative bias voltage that wind up on pin 5 of the power tubes. It looks like some one rearranged the layout a bit and that orange wire could be anything. If I had to guess it is a ground jumper for one of those resistors...But you will have to verify it by tracing that bias circuit and seeing what reaches gound and doesn't. What year and which Mark II is this? A IIA or IIB?

Not to be critical but the smaller staging B+ caps(the blue 500v ones)are in rather sloppily. The crucial staging resistors that drop down the voltage are not where they are suppossed to be. What I see is some extra long lead length from the old caps. I am assuming the resistors are soldered to that. If you can take a pic of the whole chassis we can verify what is looking good and what ain't...