The best substitutes of MESA STR-415 & 416

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightSwan

Reaction score
Is there any suggestion of the substitutes of Mesa STR-415 & 416 tubes?
By google we know they are Sylvania 6L6 STR and EL34/6CA7. But the NOS tubes are really rare and expensive.
If there are other tubes can replace them and easy to be found.

A lot of people have liked the SED Winged "C" tubes, especially the EL34s. At some point these were sold by Mesa as the STR-442 EL34 and STR-454 6L6. Now you can get them from various tube stores online. It looks like that factory is done making tubes though, so these are also going to get harder and harder to find as well. I am not sure either of these tubes have the same robustness or power handling of the Sylvanias, but people do really like the sound.

GJgo said:
When I asked Mike B. for my 105 PT he recommended the TAD 6L6GC-STR as one that can take the voltage. If you read up on it it's loosely designed after the old 415.

I used those when I retubed my Mk III a few weeks ago. Too early to comment on the reliability but no problems so far.

Cheers Stephan

I talked to The Tube Store, the guy told me that the EH 6CA7 is a hot tube, not a good idea for my ~500PV 105 PTs. He recommended the JJ 6CA7 in the Class A slots since it's a naturally cold tube. So, I have some on the way- these in the A slots & the TAD 6L6GC in the A/B slots. We'll see how it goes. :)

I imagine on Boogies other than with the 105PT or Coliseums, the hotter tubes may be OK.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

How about the sound compare EH 6CA7 with JJ 6CA7?
I am also consider which tube should be used on my VHT 2502.

Save your money, beat the bushes and wait for some good used Sylvanias to come up for sale. You will be glad at the peace of mind when it comes to using your amp with the tubes it was designed around. A good used Sylvania is just as reliable as ANY new production tube, if not a bunch more. Just sayin' . 8)

Nightswan- I didn't order the EH so I can't comment on those.

The Sylvanias do sound best, but they are $$$, hard to find, and good luck with how matched they actually are.

I wanted to prefer the 6L6 in the Class A slots because they are clearer, and have better highs & lows. However, the 6CA7s in those slots have a better midrange cut and more clarity when chording.

GJgo said:
The Sylvanias do sound best, but they are $$$, hard to find, and good luck with how matched they actually are.

The matching of some online retailers are not at the plate or bias voltage of the Mark series Boogies, so they might not match when installed in your amp. I have seen this on more than one occasion, so buyer beware !

The Sylvania's are great tubes but there are some newer production tubes I like. I use Groove Tubes 6l6R's with a #4 rating in my Simul's and my wide chassis c+. In the HR combos I have 415's and Tung Sol 6l6gc's. The short chassis HR has Groove Tubes GE reissue 6l6's. I think preamp tubes have more of an impact on the tone and feel of an amp. I use nos Chinese military 12ax7's in five of my c+'s and Tungsram's in one. I've tried almost every modern 12ax7 in the c+'s and nothing comes close to the Tungsram's or nos Chinese.

Waste your money of current tubes our by one pair of 415's and =C= El 34's and be done. unless you play out and tour yearly you'll be fine forever.. Conquer on the NOS Chinese 12ax7 !!!!

GJgo said:
Nightswan- I didn't order the EH so I can't comment on those.

I wanted to prefer the 6L6 in the Class A slots because they are clearer, and have better highs & lows. However, the 6CA7s in those slots have a better midrange cut and more clarity when chording.
Thanks GJgo.

Latest posts

Back