Craigslist Mark I Curiosity

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s-fresh

Reaction score
I haven't seen one quite like this. It is local to Mesa in Northern California and says it has been in for service, but I haven't seen a hardwood cab with a finish this ugly, pots over the logo, dymo labels on the front, cutoff MESA/Boogie logo plate, etc.

https://stockton.craigslist.org/msg/d/early-mesa-boogie-mk1/6482660129.html

Same amp a few different photos:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/d/early-mesa-boogie-mk1/6482649913.html

Anyone familiar with any of these weird details and if they were done at Mesa on other amps? They mention it had been modified, but not exactly how.

gjhnXYn.jpg

Uugh!

Two possible explanations for this:

1. Blasphemous butchery on a valuable vintage amp.
2. Butchery to hide a lower value copy.

As far as I remember correctly one of the copycat boogies was the Mesia Zoom. Not that I am certain that the amp in question is a Mesia instead of a Mesa but this is a possibility.

The speaker is definitely original. Transformers look like they are originals, too. Could indeed be a modified original.

Cheers Stephan

Thanks for the tip on the Mesia Zoom, I had never seen that one. I was aware of the Acoustic 164/165 but that was more a feature/circuit copy whereas the Mesia Zoom looks like a straight up forgery. Based on what I am seeing online it doesn't look like a match.

darkbluemurder said:
Uugh!

Two possible explanations for this:

1. Blasphemous butchery on a valuable vintage amp.
2. Butchery to hide a lower value copy.

As far as I remember correctly one of the copycat boogies was the Mesia Zoom. Not that I am certain that the amp in question is a Mesia instead of a Mesa but this is a possibility.

The speaker is definitely original. Transformers look like they are originals, too. Could indeed be a modified original.

Cheers Stephan
Speaker is definitely NOT original.The MESA black shaddow MS-12 is an Eminence and didn't start appearing with the MESA badge to around 80-81 and were never used in the Mark I.This looks to be an early (modded)Mark I,It has the Fender output transformer seen in early mark I's before MESA had their own made.

Latest posts

Back