Look at 'em there, pretty maids all in a row.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s-fresh

Reaction score
25826942558_ea23375764_c.jpg

5x Jan-Philips/Sylvania 6CA7 - Mesa STR-416 EL34 up top.
12x Jan-Philips Sylvania 6L6GC - Mesa STR-415 6L6 on the bottom.

I'm slowly grabbing these up as I find them, mostly in old amps that are priced well.

Does anyone out there know if there were two versions of the STR-415? I have all these that look the same, then recently saw some where the plates are closer to black and the little guide pieces that hold the pins/plates are closer to white. They're clearly labeled STR-415, but look a little different? Just curious if anyone knows.

They look great.
Surley you don't need all of them?
Could you not spare a a pair of 6L6's for a fellow Boogie Boarder :)
I've seen a Mesa labeled STR 415 that didn't have the dual getter,only a single halo getter.

Now look at that. The best powertubes ever.
I remember when I first got to this forum, and read about the Sylvanias my curiosity took over and I had to give them a go. Which ended in the conclusion: Sylvania's vs everything else. The difference IS that big.
I've seen both single and dual getters for the STR415, so they differ somewhat, but I haven't heard any sound difference in them.
I somewhat hoard myself and have Sylvanias in all my amps, even the dual rec, and buy the STR387 labelled Sylvania, Philips, RCA or whatever I can get. The 6CA7 or STR416 is a lot more rare though. I bought a bias probe just to match the tubes myself.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I didn't get a chance to look at the getters on those other 415s, but based on this I am assuming they will be the single halo type.

Looking back I had another 10 STR-415s pass through my hands over the last few years before I realized how uncommon they are. Live and learn! The GT labeled ones on the right were a complete bonus. I bought an amp I really wanted and was so excited that I never looked at all the spare tubes that came with it. Only months later I pulled them out and noticed they were Sylvanias. Score!

Finding STR-416s has been a lot more of a challenge. Both these sets came in old Mark IIIs that I don't think got played very much for 30 years. A local friend had the 5th one and had no need for a single. Now I've got a spare!

I have all Sylvania power tubes in my C+ Boogies. The ONLY way to go in my opinion. I have a box in the top of my closet that I have expressed to my family to NOT sell in a yard sale after my death. The 416's were much harder to come by, for sure. I bought one pair on Ebay that were listed as MESA EL-34's, for about $50.00 8)

JOEY B. said:
I have all Sylvania power tubes in my C+ Boogies. The ONLY way to go in my opinion.
+1 +2 +3 +4 etc etc!!

Especially the 416's (6CA7's/ EL34's) in a Simul.
The first time I put a pair in and played through it in Class-A mode I was blown away.
It had the rich chime of EL-34's with the deeper/ fuller sound of 6L6's.
NO other 6CA7/ EL34 has this capacity. They are worth every dime!

Latest posts

Back