Give it up for the Mark III, once and for all!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el34sg

Reaction score
Having had all the Mark III's except a purple stripe & the luxury of playing thru a Mark IIC+
for six months. The IIC+ is it's own beast with amazing tone.
The Mark III has taken a back seat for long enough....
Is it the R2 thing on the III? The red, blue & green stripe have the worlds best master volume.
They are finicky with certain speakers, but with V30's or V128's they are total rock machines.

Keep the bass & presence down, find a Mark III with a GEQ and you'll find you're tone inside that amp..
Best midrange I've ever heard..

Thank you Mesa Boogie!

This isn't news to me, I've been using my MkIII head almost exclusively for my entire adult life! :lol: The key to everything is understanding the interaction of the bass and treble rotary knobs in conjunction with the mighty Presence control.

I also love my MkIV, but it's not my wife.

The ultimate Mesa ever made for me is my Quad---IIC preamp for clean/mid gain sounds, and the III preamp for Kill mode. Nothing else I've played regardless of price has ever made me as happy. Although the III section is based on a no stripe III, it's a little different and took a slight learning curve. Interestingly enough, it doesn't really seem to even need the GEQ, although I'm glad it's there.

As for speakers, I'm a purist: must have EVM12Ls on bottom, although I'll accept a variety of Celestion designs in the 80-100 watt range up top.

MkIII Renegade said:
This isn't news to me, I've been using my MkIII head almost exclusively for my entire adult life! :lol: The key to everything is understanding the interaction of the bass and treble rotary knobs in conjunction with the mighty Presence control.

I also love my MkIV, but it's not my wife.

The ultimate Mesa ever made for me is my Quad---IIC preamp for clean/mid gain sounds, and the III preamp for Kill mode. Nothing else I've played regardless of price has ever made me as happy. Although the III section is based on a no stripe III, it's a little different and took a slight learning curve. Interestingly enough, it doesn't really seem to even need the GEQ, although I'm glad it's there.

As for speakers, I'm a purist: must have EVM12Ls on bottom, although I'll accept a variety of Celestion designs in the 80-100 watt range up top.

I like & agree with all you're saying..! The great thing about the Mark Series is, there's something for everyone. But, you're gonna have to spend a lil' time dialing your tone in.
Again you drilled it on the rotary knobs. If the bass is past 2 on a Mark III you'd better have the
GEQ dialed in to compensate.. The presence knob with some speakers can be a deal breaker..
I'm riding it out with my current set up.. Keep that rotary presence below 2 & find your sweet spot for the bass.

I just got a MarkIII blue. I'm loving it, had a IIc years ago but this one is so much more aggressive than I Geneve the IIc being.

Do all your pre tubes have a shield? I've only got one on my v1, but I'm picking up radio stations have been dealing with tons of noise.

Back