Boogie Neophyte

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfie

Reaction score
Hi All,

just bought my first Boogie from a forum member. It`s one of the 15" DRG Big Brother combos with EQ, a Mark III black/no stripe. It`s going back to Mesa in Petaluma for a service and new reverb tank, but I'm wondering about other mods. Right now I'm not playing gigs, but hope to start up again next spring. Would the R2 vol mod be worth doing now, or can I wait? How about the + mod? While those would be ideal, I'm a bit concerned about the $$$ after just buying this hulking great amp, LOL

I'm a Luthier and Guitar Tech and we got a Mark 2C+ in the shop. Playing through that thing forced me to go find a Boogie amp asap. I think I did Ok, :lol:

Photos once I get it back from Mesa.

Nigel

The R2 level mod is relatively simple and makes the MKiii amp far more usable as a three channel amp. By far the best and most practical mod I’ve made to any amp. Lets you dial in the channel levels perfectly and its usually set and forget.

i did a ‘reverb glitch fix’ too to tackle some slight background noise when using reverb. I think that was an issue on earlier MKiiis. Another very simple mod I did myself was to increase the reverb depth. The reverb can be subtle in MKiiis.

If it’s at Boogie I’d ask about the R2 mod. i suppose the reverb glitch fix will be part of the service, but might be worth asking if you noticed the issue. If you want more reverb depth, that is a single resistor fix.

My mark III has been my number one amp for decades. Had its first full recap recently i did myself, but not sure it was vital. Not done any X+ type mod to comment. i get the impression the results do not justify that level of expense but that might depend on the style you play.

"The R2 level mod is relatively simple and makes the MKiii amp far more usable as a three channel amp."

Thanks for the great reply, that's all really useful info. Looks like I need the R2 mod as well as the reverb depth resistor mod. I`ll save the + mod for now and not bother unless I think I need it later on. Our shop has an amp tech, I just wanted this one to get its first work while I own it at Mesa.

Latest posts

Back