Mark II B or Express 5;50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforker

Reaction score
Hey folks, new to Mesa and considering a 1982 Mark II B 60 watt with the GEQ, Reverb and presence controls. I'm seeing a lot of other boogies, such as the Express 5:50, Transatlantic TA-30 Lonestar series F series, used for similar prices and I was hoping someone could let me know the different strengths of each. I'd mainly be using the clean channel of all of them. I play a 1978 Ibanez Artist with active EQ and play funk, jazz, fusion and jammy rock.
Thanks!
Matt

mforker said:
Hey folks, new to Mesa and considering a 1982 Mark II B 60 watt with the GEQ, Reverb and presence controls. I'm seeing a lot of other boogies, such as the Express 5:50, Transatlantic TA-30 Lonestar series F series, used for similar prices and I was hoping someone could let me know the different strengths of each. I'd mainly be using the clean channel of all of them. I play a 1978 Ibanez Artist with active EQ and play funk, jazz, fusion and jammy rock.
Thanks!
Matt

I'd personally go with the express. I had a Mark IIB years ago and I ended up selling it because it was incredibly heavy and I never really got it to sound the way I wanted....even after I had it serviced. The clean channel sounded pretty good, but I never got the overdrive to sound a way i liked. Maybe I just wanted a more modern Mesa sound so just an opinion here. Try both if you can of course. My friend has an Express and is pretty in love with it. He owns some pretty high dollar boutique/vintage stuff too. That being said, he has the 25 watt version I think though.

my vote is for the Mark IIb.

i have a '82 Mesa Mark IIb, 60 watts, non simulclass, with GEQ, but no reverb...
so i know a lot about that style amp.

i've played the express, and tho it is a good amp, it's NOT a Mark IIb.
different animal altogether.

i like a more vintage tone, hence the choice of MKIIb.

i also have a Ibanez Artist, a 2618 from 1977, and this pairing of artist/flying fingers humbuckers, and the boogie, just seem made for each other.

by the way,
i have a short head, which makes portage so much easier.

i have several different cabs, so mixing and matching cabs is also fun, and makes the roadie part a lot easier.

***** a combo.

guitar_rig_2012.jpg

Latest posts

Back