Mesa Boogie Studio; how to use effects

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurentB

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Although being an electric guitar veteran, I actually have been playing through digital stereo pre-amps and power amps most of my life, and now I've been GIVEN this Mesa Boogie Studio (the nice hardwood version at that!).

I just LOVE its clean and slightly distorted sound, but like many, I've run into the problem of the too large difference in volume with the really saturated lead sound and added to that, that THAT isn't exactly my kind of lead sound either.

So I started experimenting with the effects equipment that I got.

The Line6 PodPro doesn't work, much as I love it for direct recording; definitely not in the effects loop (because of phase problems, I understand) but also not inserted between the guitar and amp (you don't want that in the first place with a great amp like this, but just tried it to be sure). It DOES work very well with my stereo Mesa Boogie Fifty-Fifty power amp, by the way.

I tried my 1980's Boss effects, as insert or effects loop. Better, but a distinct loss of clarity in tone as well, both as an insert and in the effects loop. Oh well, if that only happens when having to use delay or chorus, I could live with that.

But has anyone of you found a solution to maintain the brilliant clarity of this amp while using effects as well? Is it the quality of my effects perhaps?

And the Major Lead sound: what solution do you guys suggest for that? Is there a good pedal for that? I still have my Boss Overdrive from the eighties, but nah...

Latest posts

Back